Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 19 December 2008
File No.: 8665-C12-200807943
To: Distribution List (attached)
Re: Provision of Relay Services related to Unresolved issues related to the accessibility of telecommunications and broadcasting services for persons with disabilities, Broadcasting Notice of Public Hearing CRTC 2008-8 and Telecom Public Notice CRTC 2008-8 (PN 2008-8)
The Commission notes that parties have raised a number of issues with regard to message relay services (MRS) in the PN 2008-8 proceeding and identified proposals to establish new relay services. In order to assess these new relay service proposals, it is necessary to gather additional information regarding the message relay services in place today. Accordingly, those parties that provide message relay services, either directly or through a third party, are to provide responses to the questions in the attachment to this letter no later than 12 January 2009.
Parties may contact Martine Vallee (firstname.lastname@example.org) at 819-997-9254 should they have any questions in regard to this process.
Original signed by
Bell Canada and Bell Mobility
Bell Aliant Regional Communications, Limited Partnership (including all of its mobile/wireless operations)
MTS Allstream Inc. (including all of its mobile/wireless operations)
Saskatchewan Telecommunications (including all of its mobile/wireless operations)
TELUS Communications Company (including all of its mobile/wireless operations)
Bragg Communications Incorporated (EastLink)
Cogeco Cable Canada Inc.
Fido Solutions Inc.
Rogers Cable Communications Inc. and Rogers Wireless Partnership
Shaw Telecom Inc.
Virgin Mobile Canada
Primus Telecommunications Canada Inc.
Interrogatories regarding Message Relay Services (MRS)
INSERT YOUR COMPANY NAME HERE (CRTC) 19December08-500
All ILECs (incumbent local exchange carriers) are required to provide MRS in their operating territories. Telecom Decision 97-8 extended the obligation to provide MRS to CLECs (competitive local exchange carriers) and resellers by virtue of underlying LEC (local exchange carrier) obligations.
Answer the following interrogatories on behalf of your company.
1. Does your company provide MRS directly or through a third party provider? If MRS is provided through a third party, identify the name of the party.
2. With respect to the MRS that your company provides, provide a list of the types of services options that are included in addition to your basic TTY (teletypewriter unit) to the operator service [e.g., VCO (voice carry over), HCO (hearing carry over) etc.].
3. If your company provides MRS to TSPs (telecommunications service providers) via wholesale arrangements, provide a list of the TSPs with which you have such agreements as of 1 December 2008.
4. With respect to the amount ($) that your company collects to provide MRS, provide the following: (Note: In the case that your company does not assess a specific MRS rate to your customers (e.g., if the MRS rate is embedded in the cost of a service), provide either a) the last individual MRS rate charged before the rate was embedded or b) the MRS rate your company imputes.)
the MRS rate per month assessed to your mobile/wireless customers [business and residential] for each year from 2004 to 2008
the MRS rate per month assessed to your VoIP (voice-over internet protocol) customers [business and residential] for each year from 2004 to 2008
the MRS rate (per month, year, minutes, or other) assessed to your wholesale MRS customers for each year from 2004 to 2008
in table format, the total revenue collected for each year from 2004 to 2008 to provide MRS. Provide a breakdown of this MRS revenue by the following segments: i) wireline customers; ii) mobile/wireless customers; iii) VoIP customers; iv) wholesale MRS revenues; and v) other revenue (e.g., long distance, directory assistance etc.)
5. With respect to the amount your company spends on providing MRS (either directly or through a third party), provide the total annual expenditure for each of the years from 2004 to 2008 broken down between capital costs and operating expenses.
6. Provide the total conversation minutes for the MRS your company provides for each of the years 2004 to 2008. Provide a breakdown of these minutes as follows i) those conversation minutes processed for your retail customers and ii) those conversation minutes processed for customers of other TSPs (i.e. those that you have MRS wholesale agreements with).