ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-424
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2009‑786
Ottawa, 30 June 2010
Battlefords Tourism & Convention Association Inc.
North Battleford, Saskatchewan
Application 2008-1737-2, received 31 December 2008
CHBT-FM North Battleford – Licence renewal
The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the low‑power, English‑language tourist information radio station CHBT‑FM North Battleford from 1 July 2010 to 31 August 2013. This short‑term licence renewal will enable the Commission to review, at an earlier date, the licensee’s compliance with the Radio Regulations, 1986.
1. The Commission received an application by Battlefords Tourism & Convention Association Inc. (Battlefords) to renew the broadcasting licence for the low‑power, English‑language tourist information radio programming undertaking CHBT‑FM North Battleford, which expires 30 June 2010. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. In Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2009‑786, the Commission stated that the licensee may have failed to comply with section 9(2) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), which relates to the provision of annual returns, for the broadcast years 2004 through 2008.
Commission’s analysis and determinations
3. After examining the application in light of applicable regulations and policies, the Commission considers that the issue to be addressed in its determinations relates to the provision of annual returns. As set out in section 9(2) of the Regulations, licensees are required to file their annual returns for a specific broadcast year by 30 November of that same broadcast year. The Commission notes that, for the broadcast years 2004 through 2008, the licensee’s annual returns were filed after this 30 November deadline.
4. The licensee indicated that it was not aware that the annual returns were filed late and that, from now on, it will remind the accountant as well as for the individual who will be looking after the Commission file.
5. In light of all of the above, in accordance with its practice regarding radio non‑compliance, set out in Circular No. 444, the Commission considers that a short-term renewal period for CHBT‑FM would be appropriate. Accordingly, the Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the low‑power English‑language tourist information radio programming undertaking CHBT‑FM North Battleford from 1 July 2010 to 31 August 2013, four years from the original expiry date of 31 August 2009. This short‑term renewal will enable the Commission to assess, at an earlier date, the licensee’s compliance with the Regulations. The licence will be subject to the conditions set out in the appendix to this decision.
Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010‑324, 28 May 2010
Notice of applications received, Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2009‑786, 17 December 2009
Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009‑785, 17 December 2009
Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009‑506, 20 August 2009
Practices regarding radio non‑compliance, Circular No. 444, 7 May 2001
* This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-424
Conditions of licence1. The licensee shall use the station solely for the purpose of broadcasting pre‑recorded announcements promoting tourist sites and services, and community events in the North Battleford area.
2. The licensee shall not broadcast more than six minutes of advertising material per clock hour.
3. The licensee shall not broadcast musical selections, except as incidental background music.
- Date modified: