ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-425
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2009-786
Ottawa, 30 June 2010
The Haliburton Broadcasting Group Inc.
Application 2009-0529-2, received 24 March 2009
CHPB‑FM Cochrane – Licence renewal
The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English‑language commercial radio station CHPB‑FM Cochrane from 1 July 2010 to 31 August 2013. This short‑term licence renewal will enable the Commission to review the licensee’s compliance with the Radio Regulations, 1986 and its conditions of licence at an earlier date.
1. The Commission received an application by The Haliburton Broadcasting Group Inc. (Haliburton) to renew the broadcasting licence for the English‑language commercial radio programming undertaking CHPB‑FM Cochrane, which expires 30 June 2010. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. In Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2009-786, the Commission noted that the licensee may have failed to comply with its condition of licence relating to contributions to Canadian talent development (CTD) for the 2004 and 2006 broadcast years.
Commission’s analysis and determinations
3. After examining the application in light of applicable regulations and policies, the Commission considers that the issue to be addressed in its determinations relates to contributions to CTD. As set out in the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), licensees are required to complete payment of a contribution to Canadian content development (CCD) or CTD for a given broadcast year by the end of that broadcast year (i.e., 31 August). The Commission notes that the licensee made its CTD contributions for the 2004 and 2006 broadcast years after this 31 August deadline.
4. The licensee stated that it had to solicit entries from the public for a music contest and that due to the extremely small size of the market, it did not receive any entries for 2004 or 2006. The station realized that it needed external help to increase the pool of entries so it could consistently have a winner. The licensee noted that since then the contest had been running smoothly and that it had compensated for the shortfall in 2007 and 2008. The licensee also noted that such shortfalls would not happen in the future as it would direct all CCD expenditures to FACTOR.
5. In light of all of the above, in accordance with its practice regarding radio non‑compliance set out in Circular No. 444, the Commission considers that a short-term renewal period for CHPB‑FM would be appropriate. Accordingly, the Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English‑language commercial radio programming undertaking CHPB‑FM Cochrane from 1 July 2010 to 31 August 2013, four years from the original expiry date of 31 August 2009. This short‑term renewal will enable the Commission to assess the licensee’s compliance with the Regulations and its conditions of licence at an earlier date. The licence will be subject to the conditions set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009‑62.
6. In accordance with Public Notice 1992‑59, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010‑324, 28 May 2010
Notice of applications received, Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2009‑786, 17 December 2009
Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009‑785, 17 December 2009
Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009‑506, 20 August 2009
Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009‑62, 11 February 2009
Practices regarding radio non‑compliance, Circular No. 444, 7 May 2001
Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992‑59, 1 September 1992
- Date modified: