ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-427
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2009-786
Ottawa, 30 June 2010
Rogers Broadcasting Limited
Application 2009-0829-6, received 29 May 2009
CISS-FM Ottawa - Licence renewal
The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English‑language commercial radio station CISS‑FM Ottawa from 1 July 2010 to 31 August 2013. This short‑term licence renewal will enable the Commission to review, at an earlier date, the licensee’s compliance with its conditions of licence.
1. The Commission received an application by Rogers Broadcasting Limited (Rogers) to renew the broadcasting licence for the English‑language commercial radio programming undertaking CISS‑FM Ottawa, which expires 30 June 2010. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. In Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2009-786, the Commission stated that the licensee may have failed to comply with its conditions of licence relating to contribution to Canadian talent development (CTD) for the 2008 broadcast year.
Commission’s analysis and determinations
3. After examining the application in light of applicable regulations and policies, the Commission considers that the issue to be addressed in its determination relates to contributions to CTD. Specifically, the licensee had a shortfall of $1,000 in its required CTD contributions for the 2008 broadcast year.
4. The licensee stated that the non‑compliance for the 2008 broadcast year was due to miscommunications between the finance departments at CISS‑FM and Rogers’ head office in Toronto, resulting in a cheque for $1,000 not being issued for the Ottawa Jazz Festival. Rogers requested that the Commission, in reviewing this issue, take into consideration that the shortfall was paid in the 2009 broadcast year, that Rogers spent over $600,000 on Canadian content development initiatives on behalf of over 50 radio stations in the 2008 broadcast year, and that the underfunding represents less than 0.2% of Rogers’ total contribution. The licensee also stated that it has modified its internal protocols so as to avoid any future miscommunications of this nature.
5. Notwithstanding Rogers’ overall contributions to CCD, the 2008 shortfall for CISS-FM constitutes non-compliance with the stations condition of licence.
6. In light of all of the above, in accordance with its practice regarding radio non‑compliance set out in Circular No. 444, the Commission considers that a short-term renewal period for CISS-FM would be appropriate. Accordingly, the Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English‑language commercial radio programming undertaking CISS‑FM Ottawa from 1 July 2010 to 31 August 2013, four years from the original expiry date of 31 August 2009. This short‑term renewal will enable the Commission to assess, at an earlier date, the licensee’s compliance with its conditions of licence. The licence will be subject to the conditions set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009‑62.
7. Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports with Human Resources Development Canada, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010‑324, 28 May 2010
Notice of applications received, Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2009‑786, 17 December 2009
Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009‑785, 17 December 2009
Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009‑506, 20 August 2009
Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009‑62, 11 February 2009
Commercial Radio Policy 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006‑158, 15 December 2006
Practices regarding radio non‑compliance, Circular No. 444, 7 May 2001
* This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: