ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-433
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2009-786
Ottawa, 30 June 2010
Jim Pattison Broadcast Group Ltd. (the general partner) and Jim Pattison Industries Ltd. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Jim Pattison Broadcast Group Limited Partnership
Prince George and Mackenzie, British Columbia
Application 2009-0016-9, received 7 January 2009
CKDV-FM Prince George and its transmitter CKMK Mackenzie - Licence renewal
The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English‑language commercial radio station CKDV‑FM Prince George and its transmitter CKMK Mackenzie from 1 July 2010 to 31 August 2013.This short‑term licence renewal will enable the Commission to review the licensee’s compliance with its conditions of licence at an earlier date.
1. The Commission received an application by Jim Pattison Broadcast Group Ltd. (the general partner) and Jim Pattison Industries Ltd. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Jim Pattison Broadcast Group Limited Partnership (Jim Pattison), to renew the broadcasting licence for the English‑language commercial radio programming undertaking CKDV‑FM Prince George and its transmitter CKMK Mackenzie, which expires 30 June 2010. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. In Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2009‑786, the Commission noted that the licensee may have failed to comply with its condition of licence relating to contributions to Canadian talent development (CTD) for the 2005 broadcast year.
Commission’s analysis and determinations
3. After examining the application in light of applicable regulations and policies, the Commission considers that the issue to be addressed in its determination relates to the licensee’s contributions to CTD. Specifically, the Commission notes a $1,000 shortfall in the licensee’s CTD contribution for the 2005 broadcast year.
4. In a letter dated 10 September 2009, the licensee stated that the station was notified in August 2005 that the Prince George Theatre Workshop collapsed and that due to a lack of community-led Canadian content development (CCD) initiatives to support at that time, the station management was unable to fulfill its CTD commitment for 2005. The licensee further noted that CKDV‑FM increased its CCD contributions by an additional $1,000 in 2006 to make up for this shortfall in 2005.
5. In light of all of the above, in accordance with its practice regarding radio non‑compliance set out in Circular No. 444, the Commission considers that a short-term renewal period for CKDV‑FM would be appropriate. Accordingly, the Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English‑language commercial radio programming undertaking CKDV‑FM Prince George and its transmitter CKMK Mackenzie from 1 July 2010 to 31 August 2013, four years from the original expiry date of 31 August 2009. This short‑term renewal will enable the Commission to assess the licensee’s compliance with its conditions of licence at an earlier date. The licence will be subject to the conditions set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009‑62.
6. Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the Department of Human Resources and Skills Development, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
- Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010‑324, 28 May 2010
- Notice of applications received, Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2009‑786, 17 December 2009
- Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009‑785, 17 December 2009
- Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009‑506, 20 August 2009
- Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009‑62, 11 February 2009
- Commercial Radio Policy 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006‑158, 15 December 2006
- CKPG Prince George – Conversion to FM band, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2003‑17, 21 January 2003
- Practices regarding radio non‑compliance, Circular No. 444, 7 May 2001
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: