ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-507
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2010-69
Additional reference: 2010-319
Ottawa, 23 July 2010
RNC Media Inc.
Rouyn-Noranda and Val d'Or, Quebec
Application 2010-0765-9, received 4 May 2010
CFEM-TV Rouyn-Noranda – Licence amendments
1. The Commission approves the application by RNC Media Inc. to amend the broadcasting licence for the television programming undertaking CFEM‑TV Rouyn‑Noranda in order to add a digital transmitter in Rouyn‑Noranda (CFEM‑DT) and a digital rebroadcasting transmitter in Val d’Or (CFEM‑DT‑1), to simultaneously broadcast existing analog programming. The licensee submitted that the proposed amendments would allow it to adequately serve the populations of Rouyn‑Noranda and Val d’Or. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. The new transmitter in Rouyn-Noranda will operate on channel 13 with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 10,526 watts (maximum ERP of 22,000 watts with an effective height of antenna above average terrain [EHAAT] of 219.6 metres).
3. The new rebroadcasting transmitter in Val d’Or will operate on channel 10 with an average ERP of 16,200 watts (maximum ERP of 22,000 watts with an EHAAT of 201.1 metres).
4. In Revised licensing framework for over-the-air digital television services, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-69, 10 February 2010, the Commission stated that it would not issue separate licences for digital television transmitters. Instead it would authorize the operation of digital transmitters by way of an amendment to the existing licence that would allow the simulcast of the associated service’s programming on a digital transmitter. In light of the Commission’s determinations set out in that policy, the Commission has considered this application as an amendment to the existing licence.
5. In regard to the new transmitter in Rouyn-Noranda, the population in the local service area will decrease from 48,932 to 44,067. In the regional service area and in the principal marketing area, the population will increase from 92,090 to 106,796.
6. In regard to the new transmitter in Val d’Or the population in the local service area will increase from 52,247 to 57,924. In the regional service area and in the principal marketing area, the population will increase from 67,058 to 71,331.
7. The Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, the licence amendments will not be in effect until the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate has been issued.
8. The transmitters must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 31 August 2011, unless otherwise authorized by the Commission.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: