ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-665
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2010-334
Additional reference: 2010-334-1
Ottawa, 8 September 2010
Touch Canada Broadcasting (2006) Inc. (the general partner), and Touch Canada Broadcasting Inc. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Touch Canada Broadcasting Limited Partnership
Application 2010-0110-7, received 28 January 2010
CJCA Edmonton - Licence renewal
The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio station CJCA Edmonton from 1 December 2010 to 31 August 2014. This short-term licence renewal will enable the Commission to review the licensee’s compliance with the Radio Regulations, 1986 at an earlier date.
1. The Commission received an application by Touch Canada Broadcasting (2006) Inc. (the general partner), and Touch Canada Broadcasting Inc. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Touch Canada Broadcasting Limited Partnership (Touch Canada Broadcasting) to renew the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CJCA Edmonton, which expires 30 November 2010. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. In Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2010-334, the Commission stated that the licensee may have failed to comply with section 9(2) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations) relating to the provision of annual returns for the 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 broadcast years.
Commission’s analysis and determinations
3. As set out in section 9(2) of the Regulations, licensees are required to file their annual returns for a specific broadcast year by 30 November of that same broadcast year. The Commission notes that for the 2004, 2006, 2007 and 2008 broadcast years, the licensee’s annual returns were filed after this 30 November deadline.
4. The licensee indicated that the company was transitioning to a new controller which had delayed the filing of the annual return. It added that issues with the auditor caused an additional delay. The licensee also stated that there is a new financial controller and a new auditor in place to oversee financial reporting.
5. In light of all of the above, in accordance with its practice regarding radio non-compliance set out in Circular No. 444, the Commission considers that a short-term renewal period for CJCA would be appropriate. Accordingly, the Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CJCA Edmonton from 1 December 2010 to 31 August 2014. This short-term renewal will enable the Commission to assess the licensee’s compliance with the Regulations at an earlier date. The licence will be subject to the conditions set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-62.
6. In accordance with Public Notice 1992-59, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-635, 30 August 2010
- Notice of applications received, Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2010-334, 1 June 2010
- Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009
- Practices regarding radio non-compliance, Circular No. 444, 7 May 2001
- Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992
* This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: