ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-666
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2010-347
Ottawa, 8 September 2010
CKDX Radio Limited
Application 2010-0043-9, received 18 January 2010
CKDX-FM Newmarket – Licence renewal
1. The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CKDX-FM Newmarket, from 1 December 2010 to 31 August 2017. The licence will be subject to the conditions set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-62.
2. The Commission notes that it received an intervention by Matiz Communications Inc. (Matiz) in opposition to CKDX Radio Limited’s (CKDX) licence renewal application. The intervention referred to an ongoing dispute regarding shares in 1093641 Ontario Ltd., a minority shareholder in the licensee, and stated that as a result of this ongoing dispute, the Commission should decline to renew CKDX’s licence until the dispute is resolved or renew the licence on a short-term basis.
3. Evanov Communications Inc., the majority shareholder in the licensee, replied to the intervention by submitting that this matter should be resolved in civil courts rather than by the Commission and that a delay in renewal or a short-term renewal would not be in the public interest.
4. The Commission considers that this dispute should be resolved by the civil courts and does not have any bearing on the effective control of the licensee by Evanov Communications Inc.
5. In accordance with Public Notice 1992-59, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-635, 30 August 2010
- Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009
- Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992
*This decision is to be appended to the licence
- Date modified: