ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-79
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2009-757
Ottawa, 11 February 2010
CHAU-TV Communications ltée
Application 2009-1539-0, received 5 November 2009
CHAU-TV Carleton-sur-Mer – Licence amendment
1. The Commission approves the application by CHAU-TV Communications ltée (CHAU-TV Communications) to amend the broadcasting licence for the television programming undertaking CHAU-TV Carleton-sur-Mer, a TVA French-language national television network affiliate, in order to exempt CHAU-TV from the requirement to furnish complete program logs or machine-readable records of its programming to the Commission. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. In Broadcasting Public Notice 2006-109, the Commission amended the Television Broadcasting Regulations, 1987, the Pay Television Regulations, 1990 and the Specialty Services Regulations, 1990 in order to exempt certain licensees, by condition of licence, from the requirement to furnish program logs to the Commission. The purpose of those amendments was to provide greater flexibility in the furnishing of program logs or machine-readable records of the programming and to decrease the administrative burden on the Commission and on licensees in certain circumstances.
3. In the present case, the Commission notes that the program logs and machine-readable records of CHAU-TV are for the most part true copies of those furnished by TVA's main station, CFTM-TV Montréal, with the exception of local segments. CHAU-TV Communications will therefore be exempt from the requirement to furnish complete program logs or machine-readable records of its programming to the Commission, where the station's programming is the same as that of CFTM-TV. CHAU-TV Communications will still be required to furnish program logs or machine-readable records for local programs broadcast by CHAU-TV.
4. The Commission notes that CHAU-TV Communications has agreed to commit, by condition of licence, to use the Commission's existing program logs computer system to validate CHAU-TV's requirements concerning local programming and closed captioning of local programming. A condition of licence to that effect is set out below.
5. In regard to audio description and described video, the Commission's expectations are set out in Broadcasting Decision 2009-527.
6. Finally, CHAU-TV Communications will furnish CHAU-TV's program logs or machine-readable records of its programming to the Commission on a quarterly basis (not on a monthly basis); the logs will contain the information required for each month in the quarter. The quarterly logs will follow the broadcast year, and the first quarter of each broadcast year will begin on 1 September.
7. In light of the above, the broadcasting licence for the television programming undertaking CHAU-TV Carleton-sur-Mer will also be subject to the following two conditions of licence:
1. The licensee is exempted from the requirements relating to program logs or machine-readable records set out in subsection 10(3) of the Television Broadcasting Regulations, 1987, where the programming broadcast by CHAU-TV Carleton-sur-Mer is the same as that broadcast by CFTM-TV Montréal.
2. For the purpose of validating the requirements relating to local programming and closed captioning of local programming, the licensee shall furnish program logs on a quarterly basis for the local programming broadcast by CHAU-TV Carleton-sur-Mer using the Commission's computerized system. These logs shall be submitted to the Commission within 30 days of the end of each quarter.
In addition, to ensure compatibility with the Commission's computerized system, the logs provided quarterly by the licensee shall contain the information required for each month in the quarter. The quarterly logs shall follow the broadcast year, and the first quarter of each broadcast year shall begin on 1 September.
8. The licensee may use the new procedure for filing logs with the Commission beginning in the broadcast year commencing 1 September 2010.
9. The Commission reminds the licensee that it is required to file the program logs for CFTM-TV Montréal each month.
CHAU-TV Carleton-sur-Mer and its transmitters – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009-527, 27 August 2009
Amendments to the Television Broadcasting Regulations, 1987, the Pay Television Regulations, 1990 and the Specialty Services Regulations, 1990 – Requirements for the furnishing of program logs and records, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-109, 25 August 2006
This decision is to be appended to the licence. It is available in alternative format upon request and may also be examined in PDF format or in HTML at the following Internet site: http://www.crtc.gc.ca.
- Date modified: