ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-843
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2010-334
Ottawa, 16 November 2010
Tillsonburg Broadcasting Company Limited
Application 2010-0314-4, received 19 February 2010
CKOT-FM Tillsonburg – Licence renewal
The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio station CKOT-FM Tillsonburg from 1 December 2010 to 31 August 2014. This short-term licence renewal will enable the Commission to review, at an earlier date, the licensee’s compliance with the Radio Regulations, 1986.
1. The Commission received an application by Tillsonburg Broadcasting Company Limited (Tillsonburg) to renew the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CKOT-FM Tillsonburg, which expires 30 November 2010. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. In Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2010-334, the Commission stated that the licensee may have failed to comply with section 9(2) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), which relates to the provision of annual returns, for the 2004-2005 to 2006-2007 broadcast years.
Commission’s analysis and determinations
3. After examining the application in light of applicable regulations and policies, the Commission considers that the issue to be addressed in its determinations relates to the provision of annual returns.
4. As set out in section 9(2) of the Regulations, licensees are required to file, before 30 November of each year, their annual return for the broadcast year ending the previous 31 August. The Commission notes that for the 2004-2005 to 2006-2007 broadcast years, the licensee’s annual returns were filed after the 30 November deadline.
5. Tillsonburg indicated that the late filing of the annual returns was a result of various circumstances, including but not limited to the reorganization of the company as well as an application for a technical amendment.
6. In light of all of the above, in accordance with its practice regarding radio non-compliance set out in Circular No. 444, the Commission considers that a short-term renewal period for CKOT-FM is appropriate. Accordingly, the Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CKOT-FM Tillsonburg from 1 December 2010 to 31 August 2014. This short-term renewal will enable the Commission to assess, at an earlier date, the licensee’s compliance with the Regulations. The licence will be subject to the conditions set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-62.
7. In accordance with Public Notice 1992-59, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-635, 30 August 2010
Notice of applications received, Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2010-334, 1 June 2010
Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009
Practices regarding radio non-compliance, Circular No. 444, 7 May 2001
Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992
* This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: