ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-872
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2010-334
Ottawa, 24 November 2010
Golden West Broadcasting Ltd.
Portage la Prairie, Manitoba
Application 2010-0114-8, received 29 January 2010
CJPG-FM Portage la Prairie – Licence renewal
The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio station CJPG-FM Portage la Prairie from 1 December 2010 to 31 August 2014. This short-term licence renewal will enable the Commission to review the licensee’s compliance with the Radio Regulations, 1986 and its conditions of licence at an earlier date.
1. The Commission received an application by Golden West Broadcasting Ltd. (Golden West) to renew the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CJPG-FM Portage la Prairie, which expires 30 November 2010. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. In Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2010-334, the Commission stated that the licensee may have failed to comply with its condition of licence relating to Canadian talent development (CTD) contributions for the 2003-2004 to 2007-2008 broadcast years. The Commission also stated that the licensee may have failed to comply with section 15(2) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations) relating to Canadian content development (CCD) contributions for the 2008-2009 broadcast year.
3. The Commission notes that there was a shortfall in the licensee’s CTD contributions for the 2003-2004 to 2007-2008 broadcast years and in its CCD contributions for the 2008-2009 broadcast year. As set out in Broadcasting Decision 2003-439, Golden West is required to contribute a minimum of $600, in each broadcast year, to Portage la Prairie High School’s music programs. The Commission notes that while the licensee met its basic CTD contributions for the 2003-2004 to 2007-2008 broadcast years, it failed to make its contribution of $600 to Portage la Prairie High School’s music programs for the 2003-2004 to 2008-2009 broadcast years, as well as its basic CCD contributions for the 2008-2009 broadcast year.
4. Golden West stated that the CTD and CCD shortfalls resulted from oversight and that it has since made the necessary payments. The Commission notes that proof of payment has been received.
5. In light of the above and in accordance with its practice regarding radio non-compliance set out in Circular No. 444, the Commission considers that a short-term renewal period for CJPG-FM is appropriate. Accordingly, the Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the English-language commercial radio programming undertaking CJPG-FM Portage la Prairie from 1 December 2010 to 31 August 2014. This short-term renewal will enable the Commission to review the licensee’s compliance with the Regulations and its conditions of licence at an earlier date. The licence will be subject to the conditions set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-62.
6. Because this licensee is subject to the Employment Equity Act and files reports concerning employment equity with the department of Human Resources and Social Development Canada, its employment equity practices are not examined by the Commission.
Administrative renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-635, 30 August 2010
Notice of applications received, Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2010-334, 1 June 2010
Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009
FM radio station in Portage la Prairie, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2003-439, 3 September 2003
Practices regarding radio non-compliance, Circular No. 444, 7 May 2001
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: