ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-116
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2010-69
Additional reference: 2011-23 and 2011-116-1
Ottawa, 21 February 2011
Thunder Bay Electronics Limited
Thunder Bay, Ontario
Applications 2010-1704-6 and 2010-1726-0, received 23 and 24 November 2010
CKPR-TV and CHFD-TV Thunder Bay – Licence amendments
1. The Commission approves the applications by Thunder Bay Electronics Limited to amend the broadcasting licences for the television programming undertakings CKPR-TV and CHFD-TV Thunder Bay to add post-transition digital transmitters to serve the population of Thunder Bay. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with these applications.
2. The transmitter associated with CKPR-TV will operate on channel 2 with an effective radiated power (ERP) of 1,200 watts (effective height of antenna above average terrain (EHAAT) of 366.2 metres).
3. The transmitter associated with CHFD-TV will operate on channel 4 with an ERP of 1,200 watts (EHAAT of 366.2 metres).
4. With respect to the application for CKPR-TV, the Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), the licence amendment will only be effective when the Department of Industry (the Department) notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
5. The Department has advised the Commission that, while this application for CKPR-TV is conditionally technically acceptable, it will only issue a broadcasting certificate when it has determined that the proposed technical parameters will not create any unacceptable interference with aeronautical NAV/COM services.
6. With respect to the application for CHFD-TV, the Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued. Therefore, in the absence of the notification by the Department, the applicant will not be able to implement the transmitter approved in this decision.
7. Both transmitters must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 31 August 2011. The Commission expects the licensee to inform it in writing once these transmitters are in operation.
*This decision is to be appended to each licence.
- Date modified: