ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-532
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2011-188
Ottawa, 26 August 2011
FreeHD Canada Inc.
Application 2010-0889-7, received 27 May 2010
Public hearing in the National Capital Region
17 May 2011
The Commission approves an application for a broadcasting licence to operate a national video-on-demand service.
1. FreeHD Canada Inc. (FreeHD) filed an application for a broadcasting licence to operate a national video-on-demand (VOD) programming undertaking. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. FreeHD is controlled by Mr. David Lewis, who holds 91% of the voting interest. The remaining 9% is held by Mrs. Krista Lewis.
3. The applicant indicated that the new VOD service would offer, in high definition, the top blockbuster movies, film festival nominations and winning documentaries, and local programming of national interest, as well as some programs in 3-D.
4. FreeHD confirmed that it would make its VOD program offering available to customers in both official languages. While the programming would be predominantly in the English language, the applicant made a commitment to offer approximately 25% of all programming in French.
5. The applicant indicated that it would abide by the standard requirements for VOD services set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2011-59.
Commission’s analysis and determinations
6. The Commission is satisfied that the application complies with the licensing framework for VOD services set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2010-190 and with all applicable requirements set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2011-59. Accordingly, the Commission approves the application by FreeHD Canada Inc. for a broadcasting licence to operate a national video-on-demand programming undertaking. The licence will take effect 1 September 2011 and will expire 31 August 2018, and will be subject to the standard conditions of licence, expectations and encouragement set out in the appendix to Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2011-59.
7. The licence for this undertaking will be issued once the applicant has informed the Commission in writing that it is prepared to commence operations. The undertaking must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 26 August 2013. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted at least 60 days before this date.
Standard requirements for video-on-demand undertakings, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-59, 31 January 2011
Regulatory framework for video-on-demand undertakings, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-190, 29 March 2010
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: