ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2011-788-2
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 13 April 2012
Notice of hearing
16 April 2012
Review of the Local Programming Improvement Fund
Additional information added to the public file
1. In Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2011-788, the Commission set out the scope of its review of the Local Programming Improvement Fund (LPIF) and encouraged parties and interested persons to monitor the record of the proceeding for additional information that they may find useful when preparing their submissions.
2. In the interest of full disclosure and transparency, the Commission is today adding additional information to the public file concerning the average weekly amount of local news programming, local non-news programming and total local programming for LPIF recipient stations, by ownership group, before and after the implementation of the LPIF. These figures are based on television program log data filed with the Commission as part of stations’ regulatory reporting requirements and include both original and repeat programming.
3. The Commission took this information from a representative sample of television program logs submitted by television stations in receipt of LPIF monies. Appendix 1, Weeks used in the calculation of weekly local programming averages, provides further information regarding this representative sample. On the basis of this sample, average weekly programming levels were calculated on a consistent basis for the two-year period prior to and the two-year period following the implementation of the LPIF.
4. The Commission notes that these figures are intended for information purposes and any compliance matters fall outside the scope of this proceeding. The Commission intends to consider these figures in the larger context of the Fund review and of how LPIF-recipient stations have used the Fund.
5. The Commission is also updating paragraph 23 of Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2011-788 by releasing data for 2010-2011 profit before interest and taxes, in dollars and as a percentage of total revenues, for non-metropolitan and metropolitan markets.
6. Parties may use this information in preparing for the upcoming public hearing. Parties are also advised that this information could form the subject matter of questions at the public hearing.
Appendix 1 to Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2011-788-2
Weeks used in the calculation of weekly local programming averages
 The information referred to is under the heading “Additional information.”
- Date modified: