ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-404
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 24 February 2012
Ottawa, 25 July 2012
Wild TV Inc.
Wild TV (The Hunting Channel) – Licence amendments
The Commission approves an application by Wild TV Inc. to amend the broadcasting licence for the national, English-language Category 2 specialty service Wild TV (The Hunting Channel) in order to amend certain conditions of licence relating to the programming broadcast on the service.
1. The Commission received an application by Wild TV Inc. (Wild TV) to amend the broadcasting licence for the national, English-language Category 2 specialty programming undertaking Wild TV (The Hunting Channel) in order to modify the list of program categories from which it may draw programming for the service. This service’s current program categories are set out in condition of licence 2 of Broadcasting Decision 2003-133, which reads as follows:
2. The programming must be drawn exclusively from the following categories, as set out in Schedule I to the Specialty Services Regulations, 1990: 2a, 5b, 11, 12, 13 and 14.
2. The licensee proposed to add program categories 1, 2(b), 3, 6(b), 7(a), 7(b), 7(c), 7(d), 7(e), 7(f), 7(g), 9 and 10 to that list, as well as delete program category 13 from that list.
3. Wild TV also stated that it would accept a condition of licence limiting to a maximum of 10% per broadcast month the amount of programming broadcast that may be devoted to programs about food preparation.
4. The licensee argued that the flexibility provided by the proposed modifications would allow it to provide a broader spectrum of programs, and would bring the programming of the service in line with that of the licensee’s French-language service Faune TV.
5. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
Commission’s analysis and decisions
6. After examining the application in light of applicable regulations and policies, the Commission considers that the issue it must address is whether the proposed amendments result in this service becoming directly competitive with any specialty Category A service.
7. The Commission notes that the licensee’s request regarding amendments to its condition of licence setting out the program categories from which it may draw programming for Wild TV (The Hunting Channel) is consistent with the Commission’s determinations set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100. The Commission further notes that the licensee’s proposed 10% limit per broadcast month on the broadcast of programming about food preparation would prevent this service from becoming directly competitive with the specialty Category A service Food Network Canada. Accordingly, the Commission considers that approval of the licensee’s application would not result in Wild TV (The Hunting Channel) becoming directly competitive with any specialty Category A service.
8. In light of the above, the Commission approves the application by Wild TV Inc. to amend the broadcasting licence for the national, English-language Category 2 specialty programming service Wild TV (The Hunting Channel) in order to modify the list of program categories from which it may draw programming. The condition of licence in this regard shall now read as follows:
2. The programming shall be drawn exclusively from the following program categories set out in Item 6 of Schedule I to the Specialty Services Regulations, 1990, as amended from time to time:1
2 (a) Analysis and interpretation
(b) Long-form documentary
3 Reporting and actualities
5 (b) Informal education/Recreation and leisure
6 (b) Amateur sports
7 Drama and comedy
(a) Ongoing dramatic series
(b) Ongoing comedy series (sitcoms)
(c) Specials, mini-series or made-for-TV feature films
(d) Theatrical feature films aired on TV
(e) Animated television programs and films
(f) Programs of comedy sketches, improvisation, unscripted works, stand-up comedy
(g) Other drama
10 Game shows
11 (a) General entertainment and human interest
(b) Reality television
14 Infomercials, promotional and corporate videos
9. Further, in accordance with Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100, the licensee shall adhere to the following condition of licence:
The licensee shall devote not more than 10% of all programming broadcast during each broadcast month to programming drawn from each of program categories 2(b), 7(d) and 7(e).
10. Finally, the licensee shall adhere to the following condition of licence:
The licensee shall devote not more than 10% of all programming broadcast during the broadcast month to programs about food preparation.
- Amendments to certain Regulations made under the Broadcasting Act to add a new program category “Reality television”, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-401, 30 June 2011
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- The Hunting Channel – Category 2 specialty service, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2003-133, 1 May 2003
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
 In Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2011-401, the Commission announced that it had amended program category 11 to add a new category 11(b) Reality television. Consistent with this change, the Commission has added an authorization to broadcast programming from both 11(a) General entertainment and human interest and the new 11(b) program category.
- Date modified: