ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-546
This page has been archived on the Web
Route references: Part 1 applications posted on 27 May 2013, 29 May 2013, 4 June 2013, 6 June 2013 and 7 June 2013
Ottawa, 9 October 2013
Shaw Television G.P. Inc. (the general partner) and Shaw Media Global Inc. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Shaw Television Limited Partnership
Halifax, Truro, Wolfville, Bridgewater, Sydney, New Glasgow, Shelburne and Yarmouth, Nova Scotia
Applications 2013-0795-0, 2013-0797-6, 2013-0735-6, 2013-0794-2, 2013-0742-1,2013-0787-7 and 2013-0798-4
CIHF-DT Halifax and its transmitters CIHF-TV-4 Truro, CIHF-TV-5 Wolfville, CIHF-TV-6 Bridgewater, CIHF-TV-7 Sydney, CIHF-TV-8 New Glasgow, CIHF-TV-9 Shelburne and CIHF-TV-10 Yarmouth – Licence amendments
1. The Commission approves the applications by Shaw Television Limited Partnership to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language conventional television programming undertaking CIHF-DT Halifax in order to add digital transmitters to replace its existing analog transmitters CIHF-TV-4 Truro, CIHF-TV-5 Wolfville, CIHF-TV- 6 Bridgewater, CIHF-TV-7 Sydney, CIHF-TV-8 New Glasgow, CIHF-TV-9 Shelburne and CIHF-TV-10 Yarmouth. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
2. The transmitters will operate in accordance with the following technical parameters:
|Call sign and location||Channel||Maximum effective radiated power||Average effective radiated power||Effective height of antenna above average terrain|
|CIHF-DT-4 Truro||18||3,500 watts||1,170 watts||191.5 metres|
|CIHF-DT-5 Wolfville||20||166,000 watts||66,400 watts||218.2 metres|
|CIHF-DT-6 Bridgewater||35||17,500 watts||8,800 watts||161.4 metres|
|CIHF-DT-7 Sydney||36||65,000 watts||38,400 watts||180.6 metres|
|CIHF-DT-8 New Glasgow||34||3,700 watts||2,400 watts||185 metres|
|CIHF-DT-9 Shelburne||28||11,300 watts||5,700 watts||110 metres|
|CIHF-DT-10 Yarmouth||45||4,900 watts||1,740 watts||165.3 metres|
3. The Commission reminds the licensee that pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, these authorities will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that broadcasting certificates will be issued.
4. The transmitters must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 9 October 2015. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
Public service announcements
5. The Commission expects the licensee to broadcast public service announcements and to inform viewers of the existence of the new transmitters by way of its website in a manner consistent with the requirements set out in sections 3 and 4 of the appendix to Regulations for the digital television transition, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2011-198, 18 March 2011. Furthermore, the Commission expects the licensee to do this for a period of at least three months from the day these authorities are issued and before the licensee ceases to broadcast in analog or changes channels, whichever is sooner.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
 Shaw Television G.P. Inc. (the general partner) and Shaw Media Global Inc. (the limited partner), carrying on business as Shaw Television Limited Partnership
 The technical parameters reflect those approved by the Department of Industry.
- Date modified: