ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-55
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 30 November 2012
Ottawa, 13 February 2013
Ethnic Channels Group Limited
Addition of HIGHTV 3D to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution
The Commission approves an application to add HIGHTV 3D to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution (the list) and amends the list accordingly. The revised list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Broadcasting Sector.”
1. The Commission received an application dated 27 November 2012 from Ethnic Channels Group Limited (ECGL) to add HIGHTV 3D, a non-Canadian English-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. ECGL described HIGHTV 3D as an English-language niche channel that targets early adopters of 3D television and that consists of documentaries as well as fashion, travel, special events and sports programming intended specifically for broadcast in 3D format. Its programming would be sourced from Hong Kong.
3. The Commission’s general approach to the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list is set out in Call for proposals to amend the lists of eligible satellite services through the inclusion of additional non-Canadian services eligible for distribution on a digital basis only, Public Notice CRTC 2000-173, 14 December 2000. Under this approach, the Commission assesses such requests in the context of its general policy, which, among other things, precludes the addition of a non-Canadian satellite service that can be considered either totally or partially competitive with Canadian specialty or pay television services.
Commission’s analysis and decision
4. The Commission relies primarily on the interventions filed to identify the Canadian pay and specialty services with which the service proposed to be added to the list might be totally or partially competitive and which therefore should be included in the assessment of the competitiveness of the service.
5. In the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission approves the application by Ethnic Channels Group Limited to add HIGHTV 3D to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution and amends the list accordingly. The list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca under “Broadcasting Sector” and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- Date modified: