ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-137
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2014-56
Ottawa, 25 March 2014
The application numbers are set out in the appendix.
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
1. The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the English-language commercial radio programming undertakings set out in the appendix to this decision from 1 September 2014 to 31 August 2021. The licensees shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2009-62, as amended from time to time.
2. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
3. As noted in their previous licence renewal decisions:
- CIXK-FM Owen Sound was found in non-compliance with section 9(2) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations) relating to the filing of annual returns and its condition of licence relating to Canadian talent development (CTD);
- CJNE-FM Nipawin was found in non-compliance with sections 9(2), 9(3) and 9(4) of the Regulations concerning the filing of annual returns and other information requested by the Commission and section 15 of the Regulations concerning Canadian content development (CCD) contributions;
- CKHL-FM High Level was found in non-compliance with section 9(2) of the Regulations, section 15(2) of the Regulations relating to CCD and section 8(6) of the Regulations relating to the submission of complete logger tapes;
- CIXL-FM Welland was found in non-compliance with section 9(2) of the Regulations and its condition of licence relating to contributions to CTD and CCD; and
- CFJB-FM Barrie, CKOT-FM Tillsonburg and CJCA Edmonton were found in non-compliance with section 9(2) of the Regulations.
4. The Commission notes that these stations have been found in compliance with their regulatory requirements over the current licence term. The Commission therefore finds it appropriate to renew the licences for a full seven-year term.
5. Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
6. The Commission further reminds Acadia Broadcasting Limited and My Broadcasting Corporation that they must fulfill all the tangible benefits resulting from Broadcasting Decision 2009-746 and the Commission’s letter decision dated 19 November 2012 (see Broadcasting Information Bulletin 2013-62).
7. In accordance with Public Notice 1992-59, the Commission encourages the licensees to consider employment equity issues in their hiring practices and in all other aspects of their management of human resources.
- Applications processed pursuant to streamlined procedures, Broadcasting Information Bulletin CRTC 2013-62, 15 February 2013
- CJNE-FM Nipawin – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-449, 21 August 2012
- CFJB-FM Barrie – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-844, 16 November 2010
- CKOT-FM Tillsonburg – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-843, 16 November 2010
- CKHL-FM High Level and its transmitters – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-779, 21 October 2010
- CIXL-FM Welland – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-770, 19 October 2010
- CJCA Edmonton – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-665, 8 September 2010
- CIXK-FM Owen Sound – Licence renewal, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2010-642, 31 August 2010
- CKTG-FM and CJUK-FM Thunder Bay – Acquisition of assets, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009-746, 2 December 2009
- Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009
- Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992
*This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-137
Commercial radio programming undertakings for which the broadcasting licences have been renewed until 31 August 2021
|Licensee||Call sign, application number and date received|
|629112 Saskatchewan Ltd.|| CJWW Saskatoon, SK |
6 November 2013
|Acadia Broadcasting Ltd.|| CJUK-FM Thunder Bay, ON |
1 November 2013
|Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation|| CIXK-FM Owen Sound, ON |
15 November 2013
|CJNE FM Radio Inc.|| CJNE-FM Nipawin, SK and its transmitter VF2212 Carrot River |
22 October 2013
|Durham Radio Inc.|| CHKX-FM Hamilton, ON |
6 November 2013
|Klondike Broadcasting Company Limited|| CKRW Whitehorse, YT and its transmitters CKRW-FM Whitehorse, CKRW-FM-2 Inuvik, NT, VF2063 Faro, VF2143 Watson Lake, VF2266 Carcross, VF2267 Carmacks, VF2268 Mayo, VF2269 Haines Junction and VF2270 Teslin |
8 November 2013
|My Broadcasting Corporation|| CHCD-FM Simcoe, ON |
30 October 2013
|Peace River Broadcasting Corporation Ltd.|| CKHL-FM High Level, AB and its transmitters CJRA-FM Rainbow Lake and CKLA-FM La Crete |
7 November 2013
|R.B. Communications Ltd.|| CIXL-FM Welland, ON |
7 November 2013
|Rock 95 Broadcasting Ltd.|| CFJB-FM Barrie, ON |
13 November 2013
|Tillsonburg Broadcasting Company Limited|| CKOT-FM Tillsonburg, ON |
20 November 2013
|Touch Canada Broadcasting (2006) Inc. (the general partner) and C.R.A. Investments Ltd. (the limited partner), carrying on Business as Touch Canada Broadcasting Limited Partnership|| CJCA Edmonton, AB |
22 October 2013
- Date modified: