ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-614
This page has been archived on the Web
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 2 October 2014
Ottawa, 26 November 2014
Odyssey Television Network Inc.
Addition of Sport Plus to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves the application by Odyssey Television Network Inc. (Odyssey) to add Sport Plus to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution (the list) and amends the list accordingly. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca by clicking on “TV & Radio” and selecting “Programming” and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- Odyssey described Sport Plus as a 24-hour niche service (100% Greek-language) originating from Greece and providing sports programming, including live soccer, basketball, volleyball and pre- and post-game sports shows. Its target audience will be sports fans who are interested in sporting events from Greece.
- In Broadcasting Public Notices 2004-96 and 2008-100, the Commission stated that requests to add non-Canadian general interest third-language services to the list would generally be approved, subject to any requirement it deemed appropriate. In Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100, the Commission stated that non-Canadian third-language services that provide narrowly targeted or “niche” programming would be subject to the same approach as non-Canadian general interest third-language services.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services - Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Improving the diversity of third-language television services - A revised approach to assessing requests to add non-Canadian third-language television services to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2004-96, 16 December 2004
- Date modified: