ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-248
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Ottawa, 11 June 2015
Fairchild Radio (Vancouver FM) Ltd.
Vancouver, British Columbia
Application 2014-0862-5, received 28 August 2014
CHKG-FM Vancouver - Licence renewal
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the commercial ethnic radio programming undertaking CHKG-FM Vancouver, British Columbia, from 1 September 2015 to 31 August 2022. The licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in the appendix to this decision. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licence renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificate issued by the Department of Industry lapses.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-248
Conditions of licence and encouragement for the commercial ethnic radio programming undertaking CHKG-FM Vancouver, British Columbia
Conditions of licence
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking as well as to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, with the exception of condition of licence 7.
- The station shall be operated within the Specialty format as defined in A Review of certain matters concerning radio, Public Notice CRTC 1995-60, 21 April 1995, and Revised content categories and subcategories for radio, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-819, 5 November 2010.
- The licensee shall broadcast a minimum of 100 hours of ethnic programming each broadcast week.
- The licensee shall provide programming directed to a minimum of 20 cultural groups in a minimum of 15 different languages each broadcast week.
- The licensee shall not broadcast any ethnic programming directed to the Chinese community during the 6:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. period on weekdays.
- The licensee is authorized to use a subsidiary communications multiplex operation (SCMO) channel for the purpose of broadcasting a predominantly Korean-language radio service.
In accordance with Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Date modified: