Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-208
References: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 1 March 2017
Ottawa, 21 June 2017
Various locations across Canada
Various commercial radio stations – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the commercial radio programming undertakings set out below from 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2024. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding these applications.
Licensee Call sign and location Application My Broadcasting Corporation CKZM-FM St. Thomas, Ontario 2016-0549-5 CHMY-FM Renfrew, Ontario 2016-0552-8 CIYN-FM Kincardine, Ontario, and its transmitters CIYN-FM-1 Goderich and CIYN-FM-2 Port Elgin 2016-0553-6 Bayshore Broadcasting Corporation CFPS-FM Port Elgin, Ontario 2016-0868-9 Acadia Broadcasting Limited CHSJ-FM Saint John, New Brunswick 2016-0872-0 CJRL-FM Kenora, Ontario 2016-0873-8
- The terms and conditions of licence for these stations are set out in the appendix to this decision.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-208
Terms, conditions of licence, expectation and encouragement for the commercial radio programming undertakings renewed in this decision
The licence will expire 31 August 2024.
Conditions of licence applicable to all stations
- The licensee shall adhere to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for commercial AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
Additional conditions of licence applicable to CKZM-FM St. Thomas, Ontario
- As an exception to the percentage of Canadian musical selections set out in sections 2.2(8) and 2.2(9) of the Radio Regulations, 1986 (the Regulations), the licensee shall devote at least 38% of its musical selections from content category 2 (Popular Music) in each broadcast week and between 6 a.m. and 6 p.m. from Monday to Friday to Canadian selections broadcast in their entirety.
For the purposes of this condition, the terms “broadcast week,” “Canadian selection,” “content category” and “musical selection” shall have the meanings set out in the Regulations.
- The licensee shall not identify the station on a basis that includes exclusive references to the city of London, Ontario.
- The licensee shall include coverage of local news, sports and events of direct and particular relevance to St. Thomas and Elgin County on a regular basis each day in the programming broadcast.
- The licensee shall include reference to St. Thomas and Elgin County in each traffic report and each weather report.
Additional condition of licence applicable to CHSJ-FM Saint John, New Brunswick
- The licensee shall not solicit advertising in the Fredericton market.
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
In accordance with Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Date modified: