Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-209
References: Part 1 licence renewal applications posted on 1 March 2017
Ottawa, 21 June 2017
Sherbrooke, Quebec, and Lethbridge, Alberta
CFAK-FM Sherbrooke and CKXU-FM Lethbridge – Licence renewals
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licences for the campus radio programming undertakings set out in the table below from 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2024.
Licensee Call sign and location Application Comité de la radio étudiante universitaire de Sherbrooke CFAK-FM Sherbrooke, Quebec 2016-0890-3 CKXU Radio Society CKXU-FM Lethbridge, Alberta 2016-0897-8
- The Commission received an intervention in support of CKXU Radio Society’s application. It did not receive any interventions regarding the application by Comité de la radio étudiante universitaire de Sherbrooke.
- The licensees shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2012-304 as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for each undertaking.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licences renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificates issued by the Department of Industry lapse.
Filing of ownership information
- As set out in Broadcasting Regulatory Policy 2010-499, the Commission expects all community and campus radio station licensees to file yearly updates on the composition of their boards of directors. These annual updates can be submitted at the time of submission of annual returns, following annual board of directors’ elections or at any other time. As noted in Appendix 3 to that policy, licensees may submit such documentation via the Commission’s website.
- The Commission considers that campus radio stations should be particularly sensitive to employment equity issues in order to reflect fully the communities they serve. It encourages the licensees to consider these issues in their hiring practices and in all other aspects of their management of human resources.
- Standard conditions of licence for campus and community radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2012-304, 22 May 2012
- Campus and community radio policy, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-499, 22 July 2010
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
- Date modified: