Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-334
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 7 July 2017
Ottawa, 15 September 2017
Odyssey Television Network Inc.
Addition of Star International to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application by Odyssey Television Network Inc. (Odyssey), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add Star International, a non-Canadian third-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- Odyssey described Star International as a 24-hour general interest service (100% Greek-language) providing a variety of general interest and news programming. Its target audience is a general audience of all ages. The service originates from Greece.
- As set out in Broadcasting Public Notices 2004-96 and 2008-100, requests to add non-Canadian general interest third-language services to the list are generally approved, subject to any requirements the Commission deems appropriate.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Improving the diversity of third-language television services – A revised approach to assessing requests to add non-Canadian third-language television services to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis,Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2004-96, 16 December 2004
- Date modified: