Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-45
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 7 December 2016
Ottawa, 20 February 2017
TELUS Communications Company
Addition of RIDE TV to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from TELUS Communications Company (TELUS), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add RIDE TV, a non-Canadian English-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- TELUS described RIDE TV as a 24-hour high definition niche service (100% English-language) that provides high quality programming dedicated to showcasing the horse culture and lifestyle. The service originates from the United States and will target Canadians who are interested in outdoor and sports programming, own horses or have a farming operation, and are interested in equestrian lifestyle programming.
- TELUS’s request is in line with the Commission’s general approach, as set out in Public Notice 2000-173 and reiterated in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100, regarding the addition of non-Canadian English- and French-language services to the list. Further, based on the record of the proceeding and in the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission finds that RIDE TV will be neither totally nor partially competitive with any Canadian discretionary (i.e., pay or specialty) television services.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Call for proposals to amend the lists of eligible satellite services through the inclusion of additional non-Canadian services eligible for distribution on a digital basis only, Public Notice CRTC 2000-173, 14 December 2000
- Date modified: