Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-453
References: 2017-316 and 2017-316-1
Ottawa, 18 December 2017
Various locations in Quebec
Application 2017-0613-6, received on 14 July 2017
Public hearing in Toronto, Ontario
28 November 2017
Videotron G.P. – Acquisition of assets (corporate reorganization)
- The Commission approves an application filed by Videotron Ltd. for authority to acquire the assets of Videotron G.P. (Videotron Ltd. and 9227-2590 Québec inc., partners in a general partnership carrying on business as Videotron G.P.) as part of a two-step corporate reorganization. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- Videotron Ltd. is wholly owned by Quebecor Media Inc., and is a Canadian corporation pursuant to the Direction to the CRTC (Ineligibility of Non-Canadians).
- Videotron G.P. is the licensee of the terrestrial broadcasting distribution undertakings (BDUs) serving Montréal, Montréal West, Saguenay, Terrebonne, Québec, Gatineau, Granby and Sherbrooke, Quebec. It is also the licensee of the on-demand services Canal Indigo and Illico sur demande.
- As a result of the reorganization, Videotron Ltd., which was one of the partners in Videotron G.P., will become the licensee of the above-mentioned services.
- The proposed transaction will occur in two steps. First, 9227-2590 Québec Inc. will be wound up in Videotron Ltd. As such, Videotron Ltd. will own all the partnership units of Videotron G.P. Second, Videotron G.P. will be dissolved and wound up in Videotron Ltd.
- The reorganization involves BDU licences that expire in 2018. As mentioned in Renewal of the broadcasting licences for terrestrial broadcasting distribution undertakings that will expire in May 2018, Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2017-160, 18 May 2017, the licence renewal applications were addressed as part of the appearing public hearing held on 16 October 2017. Videotron Ltd. will remain responsible for any non-compliance incurred by the current licensee and will be subject to the Commission’s determination stemming from the licence renewal process.
- The licences for Canal Indigo and Illico sur demande expire in 2019 and 2022, respectively. Videotron Ltd. will remain responsible for any non-compliance incurred by the current licensee. Compliance with the regulatory obligations of these undertakings will be assessed at licence renewal.
This decision is to be appended to each licence.
- Date modified: