Highlights: 2014 Financial Results for Canadian Conventional Television Stations
Each year, the CRTC compiles financial data on Canadian broadcasting and telecommunications sectors to produce a series of reports. The data drawn from the annual returns of conventional television stations are compiled in the financial summaries issued for these services.
These financial summaries help interested parties to stay informed about the state of the Canadian communication industry and to participate in the CRTC’s public consultations.
- Private local television stations saw their revenues drop by 7.2%, from $1.94 billion in 2013 to $1.8 billion in 2014. Expenses went from $1.85 billion in 2013 to $1.84 billion in 2014, a slight decrease of 0.4%. Profits before interest and taxes (PBIT) declined from -$2.3 million to -$138.7 million, and the PBIT margin decreased from -0.1% to -7.7%.
- Investments by private local television stations in Canadian-made programs increased by 2.3%, from $605.4 million in 2013 to $619.3 million in 2014.
- Private local television stations invested $60.4 million for drama series, $5.3 million for feature films, $84.7 million for general interest programs, $361.1 million for news programs, $6.3 million for long-form documentaries, $29.3 million for other information programs, $22.3 million for music and variety shows, $1.1 million for sports programming, $19 million for game shows, $25.5 million for reality TV shows, $3.7 million for awards shows and $0.5 million for other programs.
- As part of these investments, local television stations paid $138.6 million to Canadian independent producers.
- Revenues from the sale of local advertising declined from $351.2 million in 2013 to $333.6 million in 2014, a 5% decrease. Private local television stations also experienced a 7.8% decline in national advertising revenues, from $1.28 billion in 2013 to $1.18 billion in 2014.
- In 2014, CBC/SRC reported advertising revenues of $474.6 million, which represented a 43.3% increase from the $331.1 million generated the previous year.
- CBC/SRC's programming expenditures totalled $810.8 million, 97% of which was spent on Canadian programs.
- Date modified: