Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission
Symbol of the Government of Canada

Common menu bar links

CRTC Communications Monitoring Report

2012

Previous Next Table of Contents

5.0 Telecommunications

5.1 Financial review

This pie chart shows the wireless, local & access and long distance, data & private line, and internet revenues as a percentage of total telecommunications revenues in 2011. Mobile: 45%; Wireline voice: 28%; Data & private line: 10%; Internet: 17%; Telecommunications revenues: $42.7 billion.

In 2011, the Canadian telecommunications service industry was dominated by 10 large companies that collectively, with their affiliates, accounted for 94% of Canadian telecommunications revenues of $42.7 billion. The vast majority of the remaining entities were smaller, with annual revenues of less than $2.6 billion, placing each company well below 10% of total Canadian telecommunications revenues as set out in subsection 16(6) of the Telecommunications Act, as amended.

For the purposes of subsection 16(6) of the Telecommunications Act,$42.7 billion represents the Commission’s determination of revenues from the provision of telecommunications services in Canada. The Commission will refer to this amount from the time this report is released until the release of the next report when determining an entity’s eligibility to operate as a telecommunications common carrier.

In 2011, companies operating in all six markets of the telecommunications service industry (i.e. local and access, long distance, Internet, data, private line, and wireless) accounted for approximately 88% of Canadian telecommunications revenues. Companies operating in only one market sector accounted for 1% of revenues.

This section provides a broad overview of the financial performance of the telecommunications service industry and examines various financial indicators such as revenue trends by market sector and by type of service provider, profitability, market share, capital intensity, average revenues per line, and penetration rates.

Telecommunications service industry at a glance
  2010 2011 % Growth
Telecommunications revenues ($ billions) 41.7 42.7 2.9
Percentage of total telecommunications revenues
Top 5 ILECs 66 65 1.5
Top 5 cable companies 29 30 3.9
Top 5 resellers 2 2 0.3
Capex expenditures ($ billions)
Wireline 6.6 7.1 4.8
Wireless 1.8 2.3 5.2
EBITDA margin (%)
Wireline 19 21 10.2
Wireless 41 43 3.4
Average retail revenues per subscriber per month1 ($/subscriber/month)
Wireless 58.86 58.98 0.2

1. Average retail revenues per subscriber per month are obtained by dividing total retail revenues by the total number of retail subscribers, then dividing this number by 12.

Source: CRTC data collection


Statistical information – Telecommunications

Table 5.1.1 Retail and wholesale telecommunications revenues1 ($ billions)
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2007-2011
Wireline
Retail 20.8 21.1 21.0 20.6 20.6 -0.3%
Annual growth 1.5% 1.2% -0.4% -1.8% 0.0%  
Wholesale 2.8 3.1 3.1 3.1 3.0 1.6%
Annual growth -0.4% 10.1% -1.3% -0.3% -1.8%  
Wireline total 23.6 24.2 24.0 23.7 23.6 -0.1%
Annual growth 1.2% 2.2% -0.5% -1.6% -0.3%  
Wireless
Retail 14.0 15.6 16.3 17.5 18.4 7.0%
Annual growth 14.6% 11.1% 4.9% 7.2% 5.0%  
Wholesale 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.5 0.7 9.5%
Annual growth 9.5% -8.0% 19.3% -12.9% 50.6%  
Wireless total 14.7 16.0 16.9 18.0 19.1 6.9%
Annual growth 15.5% 9.3% 5.3% 6.6% 6.2%  
Retail total 34.8 36.6 37.3 38.1 39.0 2.9%
Annual growth 6.4% 5.2% 1.8% 2.2% 2.3%  
Wholesale total 3.3 3.6 3.6 3.5 3.7 2.9%
Annual growth -0.2% 7.4% 1.4% -2.2% 5.2%  
Total 38.2 40.3 41.0 41.7 42.7 2.9%
Annual growth 5.8% 5.4% 1.8% 1.8% 2.5%  

1. Estimates were used to capture the retail and wholesale revenues of the smaller TSPs that were not required to complete data forms. These estimates are based on the information TSPs provided in their registration forms.

  • Wireline terminal equipment and other non-telecommunications revenues were excluded.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.1.1 Telecommunications revenues and annual growth

This line stacked column chart shows both wireline and wireless revenues in billions of dollars and wireline and wireless growth in percent for each year between 2007 and 2011. Wireline: 23.7, 24.2, 24.1, 23.7, 26.6; Wireless: 14.5, 16.0, 16.9, 18.0, 19.1; Wireline: 0.8%, 2.3%, -0.5%, -2.0%, -0.3%; Wireless: 14.0%, 10.4%, 5.3%, 6.6%, 6.2%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.1.2 Telecommunications revenues, by market sector ($ billions)
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2007-2011
Wireline
Local and access 9.5 9.6 9.4 9.1 8.9 -1.6%
Annual growth -0.8% 0.1% -1.9% -2.7% -2.1%  
Long distance 4.3 4.2 3.9 3.4 3.0 -8.8%
Annual growth -8.9% -3.8% -7.1% -11.0% -13.1%  
Voice subtotal 13.9 13.7 13.2 12.6 11.9 -3.7%
Annual growth -3.5% -1.1% -3.5% -5.0% -5.1%  
Internet 5.6 6.1 6.5 6.8 7.2 6.4%
Annual growth 12.3% 9.1% 6.1% 4.2% 6.3%  
Data and private line
Newer data protocols 1.3 1.5 1.7 1.8 2.1 12.4%
Annual growth 24.2% 15.1% 14.4% 8.3% 12.2%  
Legacy data, private line and other 2.9 2.8 2.6 2.5 2.4 -4.3%
Annual growth -2.3% -0.4% -8.3% -5.3% -2.9%  
Data and private line total 4.2 4.3 4.3 4.3 4.5 1.8%
Annual growth 4.6% 4.4% -0.5% 0.0% 3.5%  
Non-voice subtotal 9.8 10.5 10.8 11.1 11.7 4.6%
Annual growth 8.4% 7.1% 3.4% 2.5% 5.3%  
Wireline total 23.6 24.2 24.0 23.7 23.6 0.0%
Annual growth 1.1% 2.3% -0.5% -1.6% -0.3%  
Wireless 14.5 16.0 16.9 18.0 19.1 7.1%
Annual growth 14.4% 10.4% 5.3% 6.6% 6.2%  
Total 38.2 40.3 41.0 41.7 42.7 2.9%
Annual growth 5.8% 5.4% 1.8% 1.8% 2.5%  

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.1.2 Annual revenue growth, by market sector (2011)

This clustered column charts shows the revenue growth from newer telecommunication services versus legacy telecommunication services in billions of dollars for each year between 2009 and 2011. Newer services consists of wireless, internet, and newer data protocols. Legacy services consists of local and access, legacy data and private line, and long distance. Wireless: 0.9, 1.1, 1.1; Internet: 0.4, 0.2, 0.4; Newer data protocols: 0.2, 0.1, 0.2; Local and access: -0.2, -0.2, -0.2; Legacy data and private line: -0.2, -0.1, -0.1; Long distance: -0.3, -0.4, -0.5.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.1.3 Residential IP-provisioned service revenues

This bar chart show residential IPTV, Internet Access, Voice via cable and total IP-provisioned service revenues (billions) for 2010 and 2011. IPTV: 0.2, 0.3; Internet Access: 4.5, 4.9; Voice via cable: 1.2,1.3; Total: 6.0, 6.5.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.1.4 Distribution of telecommunications revenues, by market sector

This is a side by side pie chart that shows the telecommunications revenue distribution by market segment for 2007 and 2011. The five market segments displayed in each of pie chart are local and access, long distance, internet, data and private line, and wireless. Local and access: 25%, 21%; Long distance: 11%, 7%; Internet: 15%, 17%; Data and private line: 11%, 10%; Wireless: 38%, 45%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.1.5 Total telecommunications revenue market share, by type of TSP (2011)

This is a single pie chart that shows the telecommunications revenue market share by type of service provider in 2011. There are four types of service providers in this pie chart. Incumbent TSPs (excludes out of territory): 56%; Cable BDUs and other facilities based TSPs: 31%; Incumbent TSPs (out of territory): 9%; Resellers: 4%.
Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.1.6 Total telecommunications revenue market share, by type of TSP (2011)

This is a bar chart that shows the various types of telecommunications service providers’ revenue share and the total number of providers as a percent of total number of industry providers of telecommunication services in 2011. There are five types of service providers in this bar chart. Large incumbent TSPs (including out-of-territory): 64%, 0.9%; Small incumbent TSPs: 1%, 3.9%; Resellers: 4%, 69.7%; Other facilities-based TSPs: 2%, 18.0%; Cable BDUs: 29%, 7.6%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.1.3 Percentage of telecommunications revenues generated by companies operating in multiple markets
Number of markets Number of reporting companies operating in these markets Percentage of telecom revenues generated in these markets
2010 2011 2010 2011
6 10 10 89 88
5 12 14 5 5
4 23 19 3 2
3 29 38 2 2
2 31 33 1 2
1 56 52 1 1
  • Number of markets include local and access, long distance, Internet, data & private line, and wireless.
  • Affiliates are included with their parent company.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.1.4 Total telecommunications revenues, by type of service provider ($ millions)
  2008 2009 2010 2011
Incumbent TSPs
Large incumbent TSPs 26,715.5 26,777.9 26,752.3 27,135.2
Small incumbent TSPs 436.0 401.8 417.5 469.9
Subtotal 27,151.5 27,179.7 27,169.8 28,075.0
Less: Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 3,882.2 4,290.6 4,326.1 4,047.0
Incumbent TSPs (excl. out-of-territory) 23,269.3 22,889.1 22,843.7 23,558.0
Percent of total 58% 56% 55% 55%
Alternative TSPs
Facilities-based alternative TSPs
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 3,882.2 4,290.6 4,326.1 4,047.0
Cable BDUs 10,598.5 11,428.4 12,237.0 12,734.9
Utility telcos and other carriers 585.8 723.7 713.5 849.8
Subtotal alternative TSPs 15,066.5 16,442.6 17,276.5 17,631.7
Resellers 1,862.2 1,594.7 1,533.8 1,522.8
Total facilities-based alternative TSPs and resellers 16,928.6 18,037.2 18,810.3 19,154.5
Percent of total 42% 44% 45% 45%
Total 40,198.0 40,926.4 41,654.0 42,712.5

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.1.5 Wireline telecommunications revenue market share (%), by type of TSP (2011)
  Retail Wholesale Total
Residential Business Total
Incumbent TSPs (excl. out-of-territory) 54.2 68.1 60.4 69.8 61.6
Alternative TSPs
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 0.1 11.6 5.2 15.8 6.5
Facilities-based non-incumbent TSPs 40.3 11.6 27.6 11.7 25.6
Resellers 5.4 8.7 6.8 2.7 6.3
Alternative TSPs subtotal 45.8 31.9 39.6 30.2 38.4

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.1.6 Percentage of revenues from forborne services
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
Local and access 73 75 71 73 76
Long distance 95 94 96 96 95
Internet 98 98 99 98 98
Data and private line 75 80 82 81 83
Wireless 100 100 100 100 100
Overall 90 90 91 92 93

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.1.7 Canadian penetration rates Wireline and wireless subscribers per 100 households
Year Wireline Wireless Wireline and/or wireless Wireline (only) Wireless (only)
2002 97.0 51.6 98.7 47.1 1.7
2003 96.3 53.9 98.8 44.9 2.5
2004 96.2 58.9 98.9 40.0 2.7
2005 94.0 n/a 98.8 n/a 4.8
2006 93.6 66.8 98.6 31.8 5.0
2007 92.5 71.9 98.8 26.9 6.3
2008 91.1 74.3 99.1 24.8 8.0
2009 89.3 77.2 99.3 22.1 10.0
2010 89.1 78.2 99.3 21.1 10.2
2011 n/a n/a n/a n/a n/a

Source: Statistics Canada Affordability Study (2002 - 2007), Survey of Household Spending (2008 - 2010)

Table 5.1.8 Canadian penetration rates by income quintile Wireline and wireless subscribers per 100 households (2010)
Income quintile Wireline Wireless Wireline and/or wireless Wireline only Wireless only
First 82.2 54.9 97.3 42.4 15.1
Second 85.7 71.1 99.7 28.6 14.0
Third 89.3 82.0 99.8 17.8 10.5
Fourth 93.1 89.7 99.9 10.2 6.8
Fifth 95.3 93.5 100.0 6.5 4.7
All households 89.1 78.2 99.3 21.1 10.2
  • The upper bounds in 2010 for the first to fourth quintiles are $27K, $47K, $71K, and $110K.
  • 2011 results not available

Source: Statistics Canada - Survey of household spending

Table 5.1.9 Number of connections (millions)
  2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2008-2011
Local and access1 19.3 18.7 18.4 18.2 -1.9%
Annual growth 0.0% -2.9% -1.7% -1.0%  
Internet2 9.8 10.1 10.4 10.7 2.9%
Annual growth 5.6% 2.6% 3.1% 2.9%  
Wireless1 22.1 23.8 25.8 27.4 7.4%
Annual growth 9.0% 7.8% 8.5% 7.8%  
Total 51.2 52.6 54.6 56.3 3.2%
Annual growth 4.7% 2.7% 3.8% 3.1%  
  1. Includes residential and business connections
  2. Excludes business connections

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.1.10 Number of subscriptions with bundled services (millions)
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2007-2011
Number of subscriptions with bundles 5.0 5.8 7.5 8.8 9.4 16.9%
Percent annual growth na 15.1% 30.4% 17.1% 6.4%  
  • Local service bundled with Internet, wireless, and video distribution.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.1.7 Total business market wireline revenue distribution, by customer size and type of TSP (2011)

This combination column chart shows the relative revenue market share for the total of local, long distance, data and private line, for small business, medium business, large business, and very large business, for Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory), non-incumbent Alternative TSPs, and Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory).  The non-incumbent Alternative TSPs and the Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) are stacked, and the combined number will be known as Alternative TSP total. For small business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 85%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 10%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 5%.  Alternative TSP total is 15%. For medium business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 84%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 7%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 9%.  Alternative TSP total is 16%. For large business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 75%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 13%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 12%.  Alternative TSP total is 25%. For very large business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 78%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 10%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 13%.  Alternative TSP total is 22%.

  • Revenues include wireline revenues from local and access, long distance, and data and private line services.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.1.8 Telecommunications revenues for the top 5 group of companies, the next top 5 group of companies and the remaining companies

This pie chart show telecommunications revenues for the top 5 group of companies, the next top 5 group of companies and the remaining companies. Top 5 companies: 85%; Next 5 companies: 8%; Remaining companies: 6%.

  • Revenues for the top companies include those of the companies’ affiliates.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.1.9 Telecommunications revenues and EBITDA margins

This line clustered column chart on two axes shows the wireline, wireless and total telecom revenues in billions of dollars and wireline and wireless EBITDA margins for each year between 2007 and 2011. Note that wireline EBITDA margins represent only Incumbent TSPs which includes their out of territory operations. Wireline: 23.7, 24.3, 24.1, 23.7, 24.1; Wireless: 14.5, 16.0, 16.9, 18.0, 19.1; Wireline: 25.1%, 23.7%, 24.2%, 18.6%, 20.5%; Wireless: 44.9%, 44.9%, 43.1%, 41.1%, 42.8%.

  • 2010 wireline –Incumbent TSPs (including out-of-territory) EBITDA figure has been restated due to company adjustments.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.1.11 Capex, by type of TSP ($ billions)
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2007-2011
Wireline
Incumbent TSPs (including out-of-territory) 4.2 4.1 4.2 4.4 4.6 2.6%
Annual growth 5.3% -1.4% 1.4% 5.1% 5.4%  
Alternative TSPs
Non-incumbent, facilities-based alternative TSPs 1.6 1.7 1.5 2.1 2.4 10.7%
Annual growth 31.0% 5.6% -10.7% 40.2% 13.7%  
Resellers 0.1 0.1 0.0 0.0 0.0 -23.4%
Annual growth 41.8% -2.5% -59.0% -35.5% 33.6%  
Alternative TSPs total 1.7 1.8 1.6 2.2 2.5 9.7%
Annual growth 31.5% 5.2% -12.8% 38.7% 13.9%  
Wireline total 5.9 5.9 5.7 6.6 7.1 4.8%
Annual growth 11.8% 0.5% -2.9% 14.2% 8.2%  
Wireless 1.9 6.1 2.2 1.8 2.3 5.2%
Annual growth 12.7% 220.2% -63.0% -18.9% 27.7%  
Wireline and wireless total 7.8 12.0 8.0 8.4 9.4 4.9%
Annual growth 12.0% 54.1% -33.4% 4.9% 12.4%  

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.1.10 Capex as a percentage of revenues, by type of TSP (includes AWS expenditures in 2008)

This line chart shows the capital expenditures as a percentage of revenues by type of TSP for each year between 2007 and 2011. There are three types of TSPs in this line chart. Wireless: 13%, 38%, 13%, 10%, 13%; Incumbent TSPs (including out of territory): 23%, 23%, 24%, 27%, 28%; Non-incumbent facilities based alternative TSPs: 39%, 35%, 28%, 37%, 42%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.1.11 Wireline wholesale service revenues – Regulated and non-regulated (2011)

This pie chart show regulated and non-regulated intercarrier service revenues and their percentage to total wholesale service revenues for 2011. Regulated: $279 million or 29%; Non-regulated: $667 million or 71%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.1.12 Wireline regulated wholesale service revenues (2011)

This pie chart show regulated wholesale service revenues for 2011. High-speed access: 31%; Local interconnection services-Bill and keep on imbalance: 5%; Local interconnection services-Transiting services and other: 7%; Trunk-side and line-side wireless access services: 5%; Toll interconnection services: 6%; CND DS-0/1 access services: 4%; Aggregated ADSL/VDSL access services: 2%; Other local & access services: 9%; Co-location: 3%; Other non-local and access services: 9%.

Source: CRTC data collection

5.2 Wireline voice market sector

This pie chart shows percentage of wireline revenues as a proportion of all Telecommunications revenues. In 2011, Wireline revenues were 28% of all Telecommunications revenues, which were $42.7 billion.

Overview

In 2011, 91% of Canadian households subscribed to wireline voice communication services.

There were over 100 providers of local and access services and over 150 providers of long distance services in 2011. These service providers include the following:

  • large incumbent TSPs, which provide both local and long distance services, primarily over their own networks;
  • small incumbent TSPs, which operate in limited areas of Ontario, Quebec, and British Columbia, and include municipally owned, public, and private carriers;
  • cable BDUs, which provide network-based local and long distance services; and
  • resellers, which do not own their own facilities and tend to concentrate on the long distance market by offering dial-around or prepaid card services.
Wireline voice sector at a glance
  2010 2011 % Change
Revenues ($ billions) 12.4 11.8 -5.1
Local and access1 9.0 8.8 -2.1
Long distance2 3.4 3.0 -13.1
Local lines (millions) 20.0 19.9 -0.4
Monthly retail local and long distance revenues per line $48.71 $47.05 -3.4
Monthly retail local revenues per line $36.78 $36.18 -1.6
Residence $31.35 $31.23 -0.4
Business $48.51 $46.34 -4.5
Retail long distance revenues per minute $0.061 $0.059 -2.8
Residence $0.072 $0.069 -4.7
Business $0.046 $0.045 -3.7
Incumbent revenue market share (excluding out-of-territory)
Local and access 78% 76%  
Long distance 59% 62%  
  1. Revenues from (i.e. computer‑to‑computer communication) and revenues from wireline terminal equipment sales (telephones and PBX equipment) are excluded from local and access revenues.
  2. Long distance calls originating from mobile phones are included in the wireless section of this report. However, revenues and minutes from wireline and wireless long distance calls associated with calling cards are included in the wireline voice sector.

Source: CRTC data collection

Statistical information – Wireline voice market sector

Table 5.2.1 Local and access, and long distance revenues, local lines, and
long distance minutes
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2007 – 2011
Total local and access revenues ($ millions) 9,544 9,550 9,386 9,132 8,938 -1.6%
Annual growth -0.8% 0.1% -1.7% -2.7% -2.1%  
Less: contribution revenues ($ millions) 219 209 203 165 157 -8.1%
Local and access service revenues ($ millions) 9,324 9,342 9,183 8,967 8,782 -1.5%
Annual growth -0.6% 0.2% -1.7% -2.4% -2.1%  
Long distance revenues ($ millions) 4,318 4,153 3,856 3,432 2,982 -8.8%
Annual growth -8.9% -3.8% -7.1% -11.0% -13.1%  
Local and access and long distance revenues ($ millions) 13,642 13,494 13,039 12,399 11,763 -3.6%
Annual growth -3.4% -1.1% -3.4% -4.9% -5.1%  
Local lines including access-independent VoIP lines (thousands) 20,926 20,947 20,348 19,996 19,920 -1.2%
Annual growth -0.4% 0.1% -2.9% -1.7% -0.4%  
Access-independent VoIP lines (thousands) 167 153 161 n.a. 356 20.8%
Annual growth 3.7% -8.5% 5.0% n.a. n.a.  

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.2.2 Local and access, and long distance forborne revenues and lines (percent)
  2008 2009 2010 2011
Forborne revenues
Local and access 75 71 73 76
Long distance 94 96 96 95
Forborne local lines
Residential 77 77 80 82
Business 68 68 72 76

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.2.3 Local and access revenues, by type of TSP ($ millions)
  2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2008 – 2011
Residential
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 3,827 3,546 3,349 3,129 -6.5%
Annual growth -6.6% -7.3% -5.6% -6.6%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 10 9 9 13 10.1%
Annual growth 69.4% -5.9% -1.8% 44.5%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs
(excluding cable BDUs)
126 140 123 159 8.0%
Annual growth 47.7% 10.7% -12.2% 29.8%  
Cable BDUs 906 1,099 1,252 1,285 12.3%
Annual growth 37.4% 21.3% 13.9% 2.6%  
Total residential 4,869 4,794 4,732 4,586 -2.0%
Annual growth 0.5% -1.5% -1.3% -3.1%  
Business
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 3,096 3,017 2,934 2,791 -3.4%
Annual growth -0.6% -2.6% -2.7% -4.9%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 309 309 270 284 -2.8%
Annual growth -4.3% -0.1% -12.6% 5.3%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 147 189 182 241 17.9%
Annual growth 2.0% 28.7% -3.9% 32.5%  
Total business 3,552 3,514 3,386 3,316 -2.3%
Annual growth -0.8% -1.1% -3.7% -2.0%  
Retail
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 6,923 6,563 6,282 5,920 -5.1%
Annual growth -4.0% -5.2% -4.3% -5.8%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 319 318 279 297 -2.3%
Annual growth -3.1% -0.3% -12.3% 6.6%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 1,180 1,428 1,556 1,685 12.6%
Annual growth 32.7% 21.0% 9.0% 8.3%  
Total retail 8,421 8,308 8,117 7,902 -2.1%
Annual growth -0.1% -1.3% -2.3% -2.7%  
Wholesale
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 686 660 653 680 -0.3%
Annual growth 3.2% -3.8% -1.1% 4.2%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 114 115 105 115 0.1%
Annual growth 4.3% 0.4% -8.6% 9.3%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 51 49 41 36 -11.3%
Annual growth 27.2% -3.7% -17.6% -12.0%  
Total wholesale 851 824 798 830 -0.8%
Annual growth 4.6% -3.2% -3.1% 4.1%  
Total
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 7,609 7,223 6,935 6,600 -4.6%
Annual growth -3.4% -5.1% -4.0% -4.8%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 433 432 383 412 -1.7%
Annual growth -1.2% -0.1% -11.3% 7.3%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 1,231 1,477 1,597 1,721 11.8%
Annual growth 32.4% 20.0% 8.1% 7.8%  
Total revenues 9,272 9,132 8,915 8,732 -2.0%
Annual growth 0.3% -1.5% -2.4% -2.0%  

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.2.4 Local and access lines, by type of TSP (thousands)
  2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2008 – 2011
Residential
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 9,541 8,818 8,142 7,543 -7.5%
Annual growth -7.9% -7.6% -7.7% -7.4%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 27 28 27 34 7.6%
Annual growth 2.9% 4.6% -6.1% 26.7%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs
(excluding cable BDUs)
505 416 463 600 5.9%
Annual growth 118.7% -17.6% 11.3% 29.5%  
Cable BDUs 2,917 3,425 3,947 4,061 11.7%
Annual growth 26.1% 17.4% 15.2% 2.9%  
Total residential 12,990 12,687 12,578 12,238 -2.0%
Annual growth 0.5% -2.3% -0.9% -2.7%  
Business
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 5,270 4,968 4,721 4,597 -4.5%
Annual growth 0.4% -5.7% -5.0% -2.6%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 614 617 638 752 7.0%
Annual growth -4.0% 0.5% 3.3% 17.9%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 390 435 457 614 16.4%
Annual growth -11.1% 11.7% 5.0% 34.5%  
Total business 6,274 6,021 5,815 5,964 -1.7%
Annual growth -0.9% -4.0% -3.4% 2.6%  
Retail
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 14,811 13,786 12,863 12,140 -6.4%
Annual growth -5.1% -6.9% -6.7% -5.6%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 641 646 664 786 7.0%
Annual growth -3.8% 0.7% 2.9% 18.3%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 3,812 4,276 4,867 5,276 11.4%
Annual growth 27.8% 12.2% 13.8% 8.4%  
Total retail 19,264 18,708 18,394 18,201 -1.9%
Annual growth 0.0% -2.9% -1.7% -1.0%  
Wholesale
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 623 533 515 517 -6.0%
Annual growth 13.2% -14.4% -3.4% 0.4%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 262 300 266 322 7.2%
Annual growth -35.4% 14.6% -11.2% 21.0%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 97 99 88 162 18.4%
Annual growth 15.4% 1.7% -11.1% 83.6%  
Total wholesale 982 932 870 1,001 0.6%
Annual growth -5.5% -5.1% -6.7% 15.1%  
Total
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 15,434 14,319 13,378 12,657 -6.4%
Annual growth -4.5% -7.2% -6.6% -5.4%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 903 946 931 1,108 7.1%
Annual growth -15.7% 4.7% -1.6% 19.1%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 3,909 4,375 4,955 5,437 11.6%
Annual growth 27.5% 11.9% 13.2% 9.7%  
Total lines 20,246 19,640 19,263 19,203 -1.7%
Annual growth -0.2% -3.0% -1.9% -0.3%  

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.2.5 Local and long distance retail monthly revenues per line
  2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2008 – 2011
Local and long distance
Residential 45.15 44.62 42.79 42.01 -2.4%
Annual growth -1.3% -1.2% -4.1% -1.8%  
Business 62.53 63.55 61.50 57.39 -2.8%
Annual growth -2.7% 1.6% -3.2% -6.7%  
Total retail 50.81 50.71 48.71 47.05 -2.5%
Annual growth -2.0% -0.2% -3.9% -3.4%  

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.2.6 Local and access retail monthly revenues ($), per line by type of TSP
  2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2008 – 2011
Residential
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 33.43 33.51 34.27 34.57 1.1%
Annual growth 1.4% 0.3% 2.3% 0.9%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 29.36 26.42 27.62 31.50 2.4%
Annual growth 64.7% -10.0% 4.6% 14.0%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs
(excluding cable BDUs)
20.87 28.04 22.10 22.15 2.0%
Annual growth -32.5% 34.4% -21.2% 0.2%  
Cable BDUs 25.88 26.73 26.42 26.36 0.6%
Annual growth 9.0% 3.3% -1.1% -0.2%  
Total residential 31.24 31.49 31.35 31.23 0.0%
Annual growth 0.0% 0.8% -0.4% -0.4%  
Business
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 48.95 50.60 51.79 50.60 1.1%
Annual growth -0.9% 3.4% 2.4% -2.3%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 41.94 41.67 35.26 31.50 -9.1%
Annual growth -0.3% -0.6% -15.4% -10.7%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 31.43 36.22 33.17 32.67 1.3%
Annual growth 14.7% 15.2% -8.4% -1.5%  
Total business 47.18 48.64 48.51 46.34 -0.6%
Annual growth 0.1% 3.1% -0.3% -4.5%  
Retail
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 38.95 39.67 40.70 40.64 1.4%
Annual growth 1.2% 1.8% 2.6% -0.2%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 41.41 41.00 34.95 31.50 -8.7%
Annual growth 0.7% -1.0% -14.8% -9.9%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 25.79 27.82 26.65 26.62 1.1%
Annual growth 3.8% 7.9% -4.2% -0.1%  
Total retail 36.43 37.01 36.78 36.18 -0.2%
Annual growth -0.1% 1.6% -0.6% -1.6%  

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.2.7 Incumbent TSP provincial retail local market share, by line
Province 2008 2009 2010 2011
British Columbia 80.1% 75.6% 67.3% 65.2%
Alberta 76.4% 71.7% 68.2% 66.8%
Saskatchewan 95.9% 94.3% 93.0% 92.5%
Manitoba 89.7% 87.1% 83.7% 80.2%
Ontario 77.4% 73.4% 70.2% 67.6%
Quebec 72.5% 67.0% 62.8% 58.0%
New Brunswick 92.9% 87.5% 85.1% 83.1%
Nova Scotia 73.8% 70.4% 67.8% 65.1%
Prince Edward Island 82.5% 79.2% 74.7% 71.7%
Newfoundland and Labrador 91.8% 90.6% 89.4% 90.9%
All provinces 78.1% 73.8% 69.8% 66.9%

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.2.8 Incumbent TSP residential and business local market share, by line for major centres
Province Major centre Residential lines Business lines
2010 2011 2010 2011
British Columbia Vancouver 57.6% 61.1% 70.8% 62.8%
Victoria 47.1% 48.5% 84.2% 66.1%
Alberta Calgary 49.6% 52.3% 68.8% 62.2%
Edmonton 58.1% 58.8% 71.8% 64.7%
Saskatchewan Saskatoon 77.1% 76.8% 99.1% 96.1%
Regina 86.8% 85.6% 98.6% 98.1%
Manitoba Winnipeg 62.8% 62.7% 98.1% 84.5%
Ontario Toronto 60.3% 57.9% 73.3% 72.9%
Ottawa Gatineau 60.4% 56.7% 88.6% 88.4%
Hamilton 59.2% 54.8% 76.8% 75.0%
London 62.3% 59.5% 76.5% 75.3%
Kitchener Waterloo 60.5% 56.9% 76.8% 76.3%
St. Catharines Niagara 68.2% 63.4% 80.5% 80.2%
Windsor 70.3% 65.3% 69.7% 67.2%
Oshawa 57.0% 53.8% 84.1% 83.9%
Quebec Montréal 51.7% 48.4% 74.4% 73.6%
Québec 46.0% 39.9% 76.8% 69.5%
New Brunswick Fredericton 75.3% 72.9% 99.4% 99.5%
Nova Scotia Halifax 46.7% 45.6% 75.8% 76.0%
Prince Edward Island Charlottetown 56.0% 53.0% 84.1% 76.3%
Newfoundland and Labrador St. John's 77.0% 75.6% 88.2% 99.7%
  • Major centre boundaries are defined using Statistics Canada’s census metropolitan area and census agglomeration definitions.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.2.9 Local wholesale revenues, by major component ($ millions)
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2007 – 2011
Interconnection 273 281 280 276 254 -1.8%
Centrex 104 97 97 89 88 -4.1%
PSTN access 261 280 290 288 354 7.9%
Unbundled loops 120 116 92 79 60 -15.8%
Other revenues 45 47 33 42 42 -1.6%
Total 802 821 792 774 798 -0.1%

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.2.1 Alternative TSP local retail lines (excluding incumbent out-of-territory), by type of facility

This bar chart shows local retail lines in thousand, categorized by owned, leased and resold lines for the years 2007 through 2011. For 2007: Owned lines 2,234, Leased lines 859 and Resold lines 438. For 2008:  Owned lines 2,845, Leased lines 482, and Resold lines 145.  For 2009: Owned lines 3,487, Leased lines 283 and Resold lines 145. For 2010: Owned lines 4,078, Leased lines 181 and Resold lines 167. For 2011: Owned lines 4,258, Leased lines 103 and Resold lines 151.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.2.2 Alternative TSP local residential and business lines, by type of facility (2011)

This chart contains two pie graphs. The first shows alternative TSP local share by type of facility for residence lines:  Owned lines 98%, Leased lines 0%, and Resold lines 2%.  The second graph shows alternative TSP local share by type of facility for business lines:  Owned lines 66%, Leased lines 23%, and Resold lines 11%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.2.3 Large incumbent TSPs’ pay telephone revenues and quantities

This chart contains two bar charts. The chart on the left hand side contains a bar chart depicting the volume of pay telephones (in thousands) in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 and a line chart showing retail revenues per pay telephone for the same years. Pay telephones: 2008: 95, 2009: 89, 2010: 82, 2011: 75 Retail revenue per payphone:  2008: $1,091, 2009: $969, 2010: $860, 2011: $718.  The chart on the right hand side contains a bar chart depicting the percentage of coin-operated pay telephones in 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011 and a line chart showing the percentage change in pay telephones for the same years. Percentage of coin-operated pay telephones:  2008: 90%, 2009: 89%, 2010: 91%, 2011: 91% percentage change in pay telephones: 2008: (6%), 2009: (6%), 2010: (8%), 2011: (9%).

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.2.4 Access independent and access dependent retail VoIP local lines (2011)

This bar chart contains VoIP lines in thousands categorized by Residence Access Dependent, Business Access Dependent, Residence Access Independent and Business Access Independent for 2011. Residence Access Dependent: 3,774, Business Access Dependent: 269, Residence Access Independent: 326, Business Access Independent: 30.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.2.5 Fibre-based lines, FTTN and FTTH, percentage of total lines (2011)

This pie chart contains the percentage of FTTN, FTTH and Non fibre lines for 2011.  FTTN: 23.4%, FTTH 0.3% and non fibre 76.3%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.2.10 Long distance revenues, by type of TSP ($ millions)
  2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2008 – 2011
Residential
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 1,440 1,288 1,136 1,028 -10.6%
Annual growth -4.4% -10.6% -11.8% -9.5%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 3 2 2 1 -19.9%
Annual growth -47.5% -21.5% -16.4% -21.8%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 727 709 590 554 -8.7%
Annual growth -1.8% -2.5% -16.9% -6.0%  
Total residential 2,170 1,999 1,728 1,584 -10.0%
Annual growth -3.6% -7.9% -13.6% -8.3%  
Business
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 686 669 565 494 -10.4%
Annual growth -8.6% -2.4% -15.6% -12.5%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 176 161 115 104 -16.1%
Annual growth -17.2% -8.4% -28.2% -10.1%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 295 247 226 193 -13.2%
Annual growth -12.5% -16.2% -8.3% -14.8%  
Total business 1,156 1,077 907 791 -11.9%
Annual growth -11.0% -6.9% -15.8% -12.8%  
Retail
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 2,126 1,957 1,701 1,522 -10.5%
Annual growth -5.7% -7.9% -13.1% -10.5%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 178 163 117 105 -16.1%
Annual growth -17.9% -8.6% -28.1% -10.2%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 1,022 956 816 747 -9.9%
Annual growth -5.2% -6.4% -14.6% -8.5%  
Total retail 3,326 3,076 2,634 2,374 -10.6%
Annual growth -6.3% -7.5% -14.4% -9.9%  
Wholesale
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 420 373 311 325 -8.2%
Annual growth 1.4% -11.2% -16.6% 4.4%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 262 231 229 185 -10.9%
Annual growth 20.9% -11.8% -1.1% -19.1%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 145 176 257 97 -12.5%
Annual growth 6.0% 21.4% 46.3% -62.3%  
Total wholesale 827 780 797 607 -9.8%
Annual growth 7.7% -5.7% 2.2% -23.9%  
Total
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 2,546 2,330 2,012 1,847 -10.1%
Annual growth -4.6% -8.5% -13.6% -8.2%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 440 394 346 290 -13.0%
Annual growth 1.4% -10.5% -12.2% -16.1%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 1,167 1,132 1,073 844 -10.2%
Annual growth -3.9% -3.0% -5.2% -21.4%  
Total revenues 4,153 3,856 3,432 2,982 -10.5%
Annual growth -3.8% -7.1% -11.0% -13.1%  

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.2.11 Large incumbent TSPs’ retail long distance revenue market share, by region
Region 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
B.C., Alberta 75% 73% 74% 68% 74%
Saskatchewan 86% 85% 84% 83% 92%
Manitoba 88% 83% 81% 78% 84%
Ontario , Quebec 55% 56% 55% 61% 71%
Atlantic 82% 81% 80% 81% 83%

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.2.12 Long distance retail revenues ($) per minute, by type of TSP
  2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2008 - 2011
Residential
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 0.110 0.100 0.092 0.090 -6.4%
Annual growth -3.9% -9.5% -8.4% -1.1%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 0.069 0.071 0.082 0.084 6.7%
Annual growth -12.7% 3.4% 14.1% 2.9%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 0.058 0.054 0.052 0.046 -7.1%
Annual growth -2.5% -5.9% -4.9% -10.4%  
Total residential 0.085 0.077 0.072 0.069 -6.5%
Annual growth -3.6% -9.0% -5.8% -4.7%  
Business
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 0.067 0.067 0.059 0.063 -1.9%
Annual growth 1.0% 0.8% -11.7% 5.8%  
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 0.038 0.037 0.028 0.028 -10.4%
Annual growth -10.9% -4.0% -24.0% -1.4%  
Non-incumbent, alternative TSPs 0.046 0.039 0.038 0.031 -12.7%
Annual growth -15.9% -15.1% -1.7% -20.2%  
Total business 0.054 0.052 0.046 0.045 -6.3%
Annual growth -6.1% -4.0% -11.0% -3.7%  

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.2.6 Local business market revenue distribution, by customer size and type of provider (2011)

The following combination column chart shows the relative revenue market share for local and access, for small business, medium business, large business, and very large business, for Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory), non-incumbent Alternative TSPs, and Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory).  The non-incumbent Alternative TSPs and the Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) are stacked, and the combined number will be known as Alternative TSP total. For small business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 86%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 10%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 4%.  Alternative TSP total is 14%. For medium business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 89%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 3%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 8%.  Alternative TSP total is 11%. For large business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 86%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 3%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 11%.  Alternative TSP total is 14%. For very large business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 92%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 1%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 7%.  Alternative TSP total is 8%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.2.7 Long distance business market revenue distribution, by customer size and type of provider (2011)

The following combination column chart shows the relative revenue market share for long distance, for small business, medium business, large business, and very large business, for Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory), non-incumbent Alternative TSPs, and Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory). The non-incumbent Alternative TSPs and the Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) are stacked, and the combined number will be known as Alternative TSP total. For small business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 86%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 7%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 7%.  Alternative TSP total is 14%. For medium business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 82%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 5%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory):13%.  Alternative TSP total is 18%. For large business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 71%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 9%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 20%.  Alternative TSP total is 29%. For very large business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 61%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 19%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 20%.  Alternative TSP total is 39%.

Source: CRTC data collection

5.3 Internet market sector and broadband availability

This pie chart shows the percentage of Internet revenues as a proportion of all telecommunications revenues in 2011.  Internet: 17%; Telecommunications revenues: $42.7 billion.

Overview

The Internet access industry consists of an estimated 500 entities. Incumbent TSPs provide Internet services using mainly dial‑up, DSL , fibre-optic, satellite, and fixed wireless facilities. Cable companies provide Internet services using cable modem, fibre-optic, and fixed wireless facilities. Utility telcos, municipalities, and other TSPs provide Internet services using dial‑up, DSL , fibre-optic, satellite, and fixed wireless facilities. Resellers essentially rely on facilities-based TSPs to provide them with facilities on a wholesale basis. Resellers provide mainly dial‑up Internet access service, as well as high-speed Internet service, generally using leased DSL facilities and, to a lesser extent, cable modem and fibre-optic facilities.

Internet sector and broadband availability at a glance
  2010 2011 % Growth
Revenues ($ billions) 6.8 7.2 6.3%
Internet access and transport
Residential 4.5 4.9 8.5%
Business 1.2 1.2 -0.6%
Wholesale 0.3 0.3 22.5%
Other 0.8 0.8 -0.7%
Residential subscribers (millions) 10.4 10.7 2.9%
Residential high-speed access revenues per subscriber per month $36.99 $38.79  
Internet access revenue market share
Top 5 major ISPs (including affiliates) 76% 76%  
Cable operators 50% 51%  
ILECs (excluding out-of-territory) 38% 37%  
Residential broadband availability (excluding satellite)
National 96% 97%  
Urban 100% 100%  
Rural 80% 83%  
National including HSPA+ 98% 99%  
Residential penetration:
All speeds 76% # 78%  
High-speed 73% # 76%  
Broadband (1.5 Mbps and higher) 69% # 72%  
Broadband (5 Mbps and higher) 51% # 54%  
Average gigabytes downloaded per month per residential subscriber 14.8 17.9 21.2%
Average gigabytes uploaded per month per residential subscriber 3.7 3.8 0.7%
Monthly average residential high-speed service churn rate 1.62 1.65 2.0%
Monthly average business high-speed service churn rate 1.56 1.57 0.3%
  • The average gigabytes uploaded and downloaded, and churn rates are based on a weighted-average of the 15 largest providers in Canada.
  • Rural is defined as areas with a density of fewer than 400 people per square kilometer, or population centers with less than 1,000 people.

Source: CRTC data collection

Statistical information Internet market sector

Table 5.3.1 Internet revenues ($ millions)
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 growth 2010-2011 CAGR 2007-2011
Residential Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory)
Dial-up 141 116 92 64 46 -21.8% -24.3%
High-speed 1,331 1,406 1,506 1,588 1,732 9.1% 6.8%
Subtotal 1,469 1,522 1,598 1,652 1,778 7.7% 4.9%
Cable BDUs
Dial-up 5 2 1 1 1 -40.1% -38.7%
High-speed 1,935 2,129 2,419 2,572 2,811 9.3% 9.8%
Subtotal 1,940 2,131 2,420 2,573 2,811 9.3% 9.7%
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) and cable BDUs subtotal
Dial-up 145 118 93 65 47 -28.0% -24.7%
High-speed 3,264 3,535 3,925 4,160 4,543 9.2% 8.6%
Subtotal 3,409 3,654 4,018 4,225 4,590 8.6% 7.7%
Other TSPs
Dial-up 83 71 48 31 23 -28.0% -27.7%
High-speed 128 175 219 282 310 10.0% 24.7%
Subtotal 214 245 267 313 332 6.3% 11.7%
Total
Dial-up 228 189 141 96 69 -27.8% -25.7%
High-speed 3,394 3,710 4,144 4,442 4,853 9.3% 9.4%
Residential total 3,622 3,899 4,285 4,538 4,923 8.5% 8.0%
Business Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 434 457 444 478 481 0.8% 2.6%
Cable BDUs 169 201 227 284 309 8.7% 16.2%
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) and cable BDUs subtotal 604 657 671 762 790 3.7% 7.0%
Other TSPs
Incumbent TSPs(out-of-territory) 112 98 93 81 81 -0.5% -7.9%
Resellers,utility telcos, and other carriers 223 241 255 282 272 -3.8% 5.1%
Other TSPs subtotal 335 339 348 364 353 -3.1% 1.3%
Business access total 938 997 1,019 1,125 1,142 1.5% 5.0%
Business transport total 73 76 67 77 521 -32.4% -8.2%
Business total 1,011 1,073 1,086 1,202 1,194 -0.6% 4.2%
Wholesale
Access
Higher capacity access and transport 54 54 48 42 53 26.4% -0.4%
Lower capacity access 147 161 213 218 266 21.7% 16.0%
Wholesale total 201 215 261 260 319 22.5% 12.2%
Other Applications, equipment, and other Internet-related services 778 939 868 772 766 -0.7% -0.4%
Grand total 5,613 6,126 6,499 6,772 7,202 6.3% 6.4%
  • Wholesale Internet access and transport services are generally sold to ISPs. These services are used by the ISPs to provide Internet access service to their retail customers. Sales to non‑ ISP entities, such as VoIP service providers, are included in the wholesale revenues presented in Table 5.3.1 as “Higher capacity access and transport” revenues.
  • “Lower capacity access” includes services such as Bell Canada's GAS, TCC 's VPOP, DSL, and cable BDU-provided TPIA service, as well as satellite capacity and dial‑up bundled with Internet access sold to ISPs.
  • In previous years, modem rental fees for residential service were included with Internet access service revenues.However, the fees are no longer included as of 2008. In 2008, the fees were approximately $121 million.

1. Due to changes in company reporting, the business transport total in 2011 is not comparable to previous years.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.3.1 Internet access revenue share, by type of entity, 2011

These two pie charts describe the percentage revenue market share of various industry participant groups for residential and business Internet access markets: Residential pie chart: Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 36%; Cable BDUs: 57%; Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 0%; Resellers, utility telcos, and other carriers: 7%. Business pie chart: Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 42%; Cable BDUs: 27%; Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 7%; Resellers, utility telcos, and other carriers: 24%

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.3.2 Business Internet access revenues, by access technology (2007 v. 2011)

These two pie charts describe the percentage of business access revenue by technology.  For 2007: DSL: 46%; Cable: 10%; Fiber: 29%; Other: 8%; Dial-up: 7%. And for 2011: DSL: 43%; Cable: 20%; Fiber: 27%; Other: 8%; Dial-up: 2%.

  • “Other” includes the remaining technologies, such as, but not limited to, ISDN, fixed wireless, and satellite technologies.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.3.2 Residential Internet subscribers, by type of TSP
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR 2007-2011
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory)
Dial-up 566 433 286 210 137 -29.9%
% annual growth -11.8 -23.5 -33.9 -26.6 -34.9  
% share of total dial-up 60.6 59.1 58.8 57.3 55.5  
High-speed 3,405 3,584 3,673 3,762 3,876 3.3%
% annual growth 10.0 5.3 2.5 2.4 3.0  
% share of total high-speed 40.7 39.5 38.4 37.6 37.2  
Subtotal 3,971 4,017 3,959 3,972 4,011 0.3%
% annual growth 6.3 1.2 -1.4 0.3 1.0  
% share of total 42.7 40.9 39.3 38.3 37.6  
Cable BDUs
Dial-up 18 18 14 10 7 -19.4%
% annual growth -53.8 1.9 -24.4 -23.0 -28.9  
% share of total dial-up 1.9 2.4 2.8 2.8 3.0  
High-speed 4,573 4,990 5,358 5,642 5,839 6.3%
% annual growth 13.2 9.1 7.4 5.3 3.5  
% share of total high-speed 54.7 55.0 56.0 56.4 56.0  
Subtotal 4,590 5,008 5,372 5,653 5,846 6.2%
% annual growth 12.5 9.1 7.3 5.2 3.4  
% share of total 49.5 51.1 53.4 54.5 54.8  
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) and cable BDUs subtotal
Dial-up 584 451 299 220 144 -29.4%
% annual growth -14.1 -22.8 -33.6 -26.5 -34.6  
% share of total dial-up 62.5 61.6 61.6 60.1 58.5  
High-speed 7,978 8,574 9,031 9,404 9,713 5.0%
% annual growth 11.8 7.5 5.3 4.1 3.3  
% share of total high-speed 95.5 94.5 94.3 94.0 93.2  
Subtotal 8,561 9,024 9,331 9,625 9,857 3.6%
% annual growth 9.5 5.4 3.4 3.1 2.4  
% share of total 92.2 92.0 92.7 92.8 92.4  
Other TSPs
Dial-up 350 281 187 146 102 -26.5%
% annual growth -37.4 -19.7 -33.6 -21.7 -30.1  
% share of total dial-up 37.5 38.4 38.4 39.9 41.5  
High-speed 379 503 545 604 712 17.1%
% annual growth 16.0 32.9 8.2 10.8 18.0  
% share of total high-speed 4.5 5.5 5.7 6.0 6.8  
Subtotal 729 785 731 750 815 2.8%
% annual growth -17.7 32.9 8.2 2.5 8.6  
% share of total 7.8 8.0 7.3 7.2 7.6  
Total
Dial-up 934 732 486 366 246 -28.3%
% annual growth -24.7 -21.6 -33.6 -24.6 -32.8  
% share of total 10.0 7.5 4.8 3.5 2.3  
High-speed 8,356 9,077 9,576 10,008 10,426 5.7%
% annual growth 12.0 8.6 5.5 4.5 4.2  
% share of total 90.0 92.5 95.2 96.5 97.7  
Grand total 9,290 9,809 10,062 10,375 10,672 3.5%
% annual growth 6.8 5.6 2.6 3.1 2.9  

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.3.3 GBs downloadable per plan vs. percentage of high-speed residential subscribers

This bar char describes the number of gigabytes per month downloadable by residential subscribers versus the percentage of residential subscribers subscribing to plans with at least these limits.  Those with 20 Gigabytes or more in their plan comprise 89% of all subscriptions; 40 Gigabytes or more: 72%; 60 Gigabytes or more: 61%; 80 Gigabytes or more: 47%; 100 Gigabytes or more: 44%; 120 Gigabytes or more: 42%; 140 Gigabytes or more: 27%; 160 Gigabytes or more: 21%; No limit: 13%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.3.3 Residential Internet plans and pricing
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
Downstream speed One-month revenue (%)
Lite and wideband up to 256 Kbps 6.8 2.9 0.6 0.2 0.3
Wideband 300 to 1400 Kbps 12.2 15.1 8.6 4.3 3.6
Broadband
1.5 to 4 Mbps 14.0 17.3 20.9 20.9 20.3
5 to 9 Mbps 58.0 53.6 46.5 49.1 47.0
10 to 15 Mbps 8.7 10.8 22.4 22.8 16.5
16 Mbps and higher 0.2 0.3 1.0 2.7 12.3
16 to 49 Mbps - - - 2.4 11.8
50 Mbps and higher - - - 0.3 0.6
Total sample 268.9 306.4 320.7 350.0 375.7
Downstream speed Subscribers (%) 
Lite and wideband up to 256 Kbps 10.0 4.3 1.1 0.3 0.4
Wideband 300 to 1400 Kbps 15.3 19.8 12.2 5.8 4.3
Broadband
1.5 to 4 Mbps 15.3 17.0 24.5 24.2 24.6
5 to 9 Mbps 52.5 50.1 42.6 45.3 45.6
10 to 15 Mbps 6.8 8.6 19.0 22.4 15.6
16 Mbps and higher 0.1 0.2 0.6 2.0 9.5
16 to 49 Mbps - - - 1.8 9.2
50 Mbps and higher - - - 0.2 0.3
Total sample 7,576.6 8,184.4 8,516.8 8,983.1 9,440.3
Downstream speed Average revenue per subscriber
Lite and wideband up to 256 Kbps $24.37 $24.86 $19.55 $25.18 $33.86
Wideband 300 to 1400 Kbps $28.29 $28.57 $26.84 $28.87 $33.03
Broadband
1.5 to 4 Mbps $32.53 $38.22 $32.46 $33.57 $32.87
5 to 9 Mbps $39.26 $40.00 $41.14 $42.23 $40.97
10 to 15 Mbps $45.23 $47.06 $44.43 $39.67 $42.11
16 Mbps and higher $51.17 $63.06 $65.08 $53.71 $51.63
16 to 49 Mbps - - - $51.66 $50.76
50 Mbps and higher - - - $75.80 $78.06
Total sample $35.50 $37.44 $37.80 $38.96 $39.80
Downstream speed Weighted-average upload speed (Kbps)
Lite and wideband up to 256 Kbps 118 131 152 209 178
Wideband 300 to 1400 Kbps 294 286 267 352 314
Broadband
1.5 to 4 Mbps 537 809 656 584 666
5 to 9 Mbps 677 744 723 870 855
10 to 15 Mbps 815 862 751 797 876
16 Mbps and higher 1,000 1,120 1,085 1,735 2,693
16 to 49 Mbps - - - 1,661 2,662
50 Mbps and higher - - - 2,529 3,667
Total sample 552 649 652 769 961
Weighted-average download speed 4,227 4,928 5,945 7,060 8,238
Downstream speed Weighted-average upload/download limit in GBs
Lite and wideband up to 256 Kbps 8.50  11.75 - -
Wideband 300 to 1400 Kbps 8.75 3.04  7.20 14.9
Broadband
1.5 to 4 Mbps 43.25  32.20 22.13 69.06
5 to 9 Mbps 54.18  42.80 45.27 80.81
10 to 15 Mbps 80.81  69.53 74.28 74.22
16 Mbps and higher 101.91  104.14 112.94 179.58
16 to 49 Mbps - - - 108.25 176.98
50 Mbps and higher - - - 163.22 236.54
Total sample - 42.34 40.32 45.04 81.11
  1. Weighted-average download limits are calculated only for those plans that have limits.
  2. 2008, 2009, 2010 and 2011data excludes terminal rental revenues.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.3.4 Residential Internet access technology mix (2007 v. 2011)

These two pie charts describe the percentage of residential subscriptions by technology.  For 2007: DSL: 38%; Cable: 50%; Dial-up: 10%; Other: 2%. And for 2011: DSL: 39%; Cable: 55%; Dial-up: 2%; Other: 4%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.3.5 Broadband (greater than 1.5 Mbps) subscriptions

This two line chart describes, for the years 2007 to 2011, the number of subscriptions of broadband for Incumbent TSPs and for Cable BDUs.  For 2007: 2,756, 3,206; For 2008: 3,009, 3,520; For 2009: 3,338, 4,495; For 2010: 3,553, 5,280; For 2011: 3,693, 5,375.

Source: CRTC data collection

Broadband availability - Statistical information

Table 5.3.4 Key telecommunications availability indicators

Platform
Availability (% of households)
2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
Mobile broadband
3G / 3G equivalent 78 91 96 98 99
HSPA+ na na na 97 99
LTE na na na na 45
Landline broadband
DSL na 84 85 85 88
Cable modem na 80 80 82 83
Fixed wireless na 80 81 82 86
IPTV 10 10 21 22 34
Digital satellite National National National National National

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.3.6 Broadband availability (percentage of households)

This column chart describes, for 2009, 2010, and 2011 the availability of broadband via various access means.  For 2009, DSL was at 85%, Cable modem was at 80%, Fixed-wireless and Satellite was at 82%, for a total availability of 96%.  For 2010, DSL was at 85%, Cable modem was at 82%, Fixed-wireless and Satellite was at 83%, Mobile was at 96%, for a total availability of 98%.  For 2011, DSL was at 88%, Cable modem was at 83%, Fixed-wireless and Satellite was at 87%, Mobile was at 99%, for a total availability of 99%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.3.7 Broadband availability, by speed (percentage of households)

This column chart describes the availability of broadband by various download speeds, in Mbps for 2009, 2010, and 2011, excluding HSPA+.  For 1.5 to 4.9 Mbps: 95%, 96%, 97%; for 5 to 9.9 Mbps: 82%, 86%, 87%; for 10 to 15.9 Mbps: 77%, 81%, 83%; for 16 to 24.9 Mbps: 67%, 77%, 80%; From 25 to 29.9 Mbps: 45%, 70%, 78%; for 30 Mbps to 49.9 Mbps: 30%, 66%, 76%; 50 Mbps to 99.9 Mbps: 30%, 60%, 75%; and 100 Mbps and higher: 11%, 16%, 28%.

  • Excludes HSPA+

Sources: Industry Canada and CRTC data collection

Table 5.3.5 Broadband availability platforms, by speed and number of platforms (2011)
Number of platforms 1.5 Mbps to 4.9 Mbps 5.0 Mbps to 9.9 Mbps 10.0 Mbps to 15.9 Mbps 16.0 Mbps to 24.9 Mbps 25.0 Mbps to 29.9 Mbps 30.0 Mbps to 49.9 Mbps 50.0 Mbps to 99.9 Mbps 100 Mbps and higher
1 3% 13% 27% 30% 33% 60% 75% 28%
2 9% 74% 56% 51% 45% 16% 0% 0%
3 16% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
4 72% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0% 0%
  • Platforms include DSL, cable modem, fixed wireless, and mobile (HSPA+)

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.3.6 Broadband availability, by speed and province/territory
(2011, percentage of households)
Province 1.5 – 4.9 Mbps 5 – 9.9 Mbps 10 – 15.9 Mbps 16 – 24.9 Mbps 25 – 100 Mbps
British Columbia 99 91 89 88 86
Alberta 100 87 84 84 82
Saskatchewan 99 75 63 57 57
Manitoba 99 83 66 66 66
Ontario 100 90 87 83 79
Quebec 99 87 83 82 81
New Brunswick 100 83 80 79 79
Nova Scotia 100 80 73 61 60
Prince Edward Island 100 71 55 45 45
Newfoundland and Labrador 98 78 67 66 66
Yukon 100 90 61 61 60
Nunavut 29 0 0 0 0
Northwest Territories 87 83 47 47 47
  • HSPA+ is included only in the 1.5 to 4.9 Mbps speed tier
  • Availability of broadband speeds greater than 25 Mbps have been combined due to the confidentiality of the data

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.3.8 Broadband availability – Urban v. rural (percentage of households) (2011)

This column charts shows broadband availability, by size of community and speed. Large population centers: 1.5-4.9Mbps: 100%, 5-9.9Mbps: 100%, 10-15.9Mbps: 99%, 16-24.9Mbps: 99%, 25-29.9Mbps: 99%, 30-49.9Mbps: 96%, 50-99.9Mbps: 95%, 100+Mbps: 34%. Medium population centers: 1.5-4.9Mbps: 100%, 5-9.9Mbps: 100%, 10-15.9Mbps: 98%, 16-24.9Mbps: 89%, 25-29.9Mbps: 85%, 30-49.9Mbps: 84%, 50-99.9Mbps: 83%, 100+Mbps: 37%. Small population centers: 1.5-4.9Mbps: 100%, 5-9.9Mbps: 96%, 10-15.9Mbps: 87%, 16-24.9Mbps: 81%, 25-29.9Mbps: 72%, 30-49.9Mbps: 65%, 50-99.9Mbps: 63%, 100+Mbps: 30%. Rural areas: 1.5-4.9Mbps: 83%, 5-9.9Mbps: 43%, 10-15.9Mbps: 31%, 16-24.9Mbps: 26%, 25-29.9Mbps: 24%, 30-49.9Mbps: 23%, 50-99.9Mbps: 23%, 100+Mbps: 10%. Rural areas HSPA+: 11%

Sources: Industry Canada and CRTC data collection

Figure 5.3.9 Broadband availability v. broadband subscriptions (2011)

This stacked column chart describes, for the provinces of Canada, the availability of broadband via fixed technology, with a stacked element for the additional coverage provided by HSPA+ mobile technology.  In addition, it shows the subscriber take-up percentage of broadband subscriptions per province via fixed technology.  BC: 96%, HSPA+ adds 3%, take-up rate is 76%; AB: 98%, HSPA+ adds 2%, take-up rate is 73%; SK: 96% , HSPA+ adds 3%, take-up rate is 69%; MB: 93%, HSPA+ adds 6%, take-up rate 63%; ON: 98%, HSPA+ adds 1%, take-up rate is 75%; QC: 96%, HSPA+ adds 4%, take-up rate is 68%; NB: 100%, HSPA+ adds 0%, take-up rate is 69%; NS: 100%, HSPA+ adds 0%, take-up rate is 67%; PEI: 100%, HSPA+ adds 0%, take-up rate is 70%; NL: 82%, HSPA+ adds 15%, take-up rate is 71%; North: 78%, HSPA+ adds 0%, take-up rate is 64%; Canada: 97%, HSPA+ adds 2%, take-up rate is 72%.

Sources: Industry Canada and CRTC data collection

Table 5.3.7 Number of households that can have broadband access (thousands)
Province 2010 2011
British Columbia 1,739 # 1,766
Alberta 1,386 # 1,417
Saskatchewan 397 # 403
Manitoba 429 451
Ontario 4,928 # 5,014
Quebec 3,198 # 3,288
New Brunswick 315 # 316
Nova Scotia 399 # 401
Prince Edward Island 57 # 59
Newfoundland and Labrador 170 # 171
North 31 # 31
Canada 13,048 13,316
  • Excludes HSPA+

Source: CRTC data collection


5.4 Data and private line market sector

This pie chart shows the data and private line revenues as a percentage of total telecommunications revenues in 2011. Data and private line: 10%; Telecommunications revenues: $42.7 billion.

Overview

Approximately 150 entities offered data and private line services in 2011. Of these, incumbent TSPs accounted for approximately 25%, and alternative TSPs, such as cable BDUs, utility telcos, and resellers, accounted for the remaining 75%.

Data and private line sector at a glance
  2010 2011 % Growth
Revenues ($ billions) 4.3 4.5 3.5%
Data 2.8 3.0 7.2%
Private line 1.5 1.5 -3.1%
Private line revenues as a percent of total 35.6% 33.3%  
New data protocols
Revenues ($ billions) 1.8 2.1 12.4%
Percent of total data protocol revenues 89.5% 93.5%  
Data and private line revenue market share
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 69% 69%  
Forborne services
Percent of data revenues from forborne data services 91% 91%  
Percent of private line revenues from forborne private line services 65% 67%  
Number of forborne private line routes 4,823 5,108 5.9%

Source: CRTC data collection

Data and private line market sector – Statistical information

Table 5.4.1 Data and private line revenues ($ millions)
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2007-2011
Data
Data protocols 1,769 1,890 2,020 2,055 2,209 5.7%
Annual growth 10.3% 6.9% 6.8% 1.8% 7.5%  
Other 704 723 658 723 770 2.3%
Annual growth 0.5% 2.8% -9.0% 9.8% 6.6%  
Total data and other 2,472 2,614 2,678 2,778 2,979 4.8%
Annual growth 7.3% 5.7% 2.5% 3.7% 7.2%  
Private Line 1,680 1,722 1,636 1,536 1,488 -3.0%
Annual growth 0.9% 2.5% -5.0% -6.1% -3.1%  
Total data and private line 4,153 4,336 4,313 4,314 4,467 1.8%
Annual growth 4.6% 4.4% -0.5% 0.0% 3.5%  
  • Data services are classified into one of three categories: (1) legacy data protocols such as X.25, ATM, and frame relay, (2) newer protocols such as Ethernet and IP-VPN, and other protocols including managed services where specific protocols cannot be separated, and (3) other services such as network management and networking equipment.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.4.1 Data and private line revenue market share, by type of TSP
These two pie charts describe the percentage revenue market share of various industry participant groups for the data and private line market for 2010 and 2011. For 2010: Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 69%; Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 14%; Non-incumbent alternative TSPs: 17%.  For 2011: Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 69%; Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 13%; Non-incumbent alternative TSPs: 18%.
Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.4.2 Data revenue market share, by type of TSP

These two pie charts describe the percentage revenue market share of various industry participant groups for the data market for 2010 and 2011. For 2010: Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 62%; Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 16%; Non-incumbent alternative TSPs: 22%.  For 2011: Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 65%; Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 14%; Non-incumbent alternative TSPs: 21%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.4.2 Data protocol revenues, by service category ($ millions)
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2007-2011
New protocols
Retail
Ethernet 488.5 520.7 482.3 451.4 478.6 -0.5%
Annual growth 4.0% 6.6% -7.4% -6.4% 6.0%  
IP-VPN 535.2 710.1 870.8 995.9 1,124.4 20.4%
Annual growth 47.5% 32.7% 22.6% 14.4% 12.9%  
Other 103.9 77.5 126.4 118.9 125.9 4.9%
Annual growth 33.2% -25.4% 63.0% -5.9% 5.7%  
Total retail 1,127.5 1,308.4 1,479.5 1,566.2 1,728.9 11.3%
Annual growth 23.8% 16.0% 13.1% 5.9% 10.4%  
Wholesale
Ethernet 90.0 122.4 173.2 196.8 221.3 25.2%
Annual growth 3.9% 36.0% 41.5% 13.7% 12.4%  
IP-VPN 11.3 17.4 11.8 41.7 68.8 57.2%
Annual growth 2.4% 54.6% -32.3% 253.5% 65.0%  
Other 62.4 37.5 35.1 35.0 45.4 -7.7%
Annual growth 102.3% -39.8% -6.4% -0.3% 29.2%  
Total wholesale 163.7 177.4 220.1 273.6 335.4 19.6%
Annual growth 27.3% 8.4% 24.1% 24.3% 22.6%  
Total new protocols 1,291.2 1,485.7 1,699.7 1,839.8 2,064.4 12.4%
Annual growth 24.2% 15.1% 14.4% 8.2% 12.2%  
Legacy protocols
Retail 415.2 343.8 264.2 173.6 103.6 -29.3%
Annual growth -18.4% -17.2% -23.2% -34.3% -40.3%  
Wholesale 62.4 60.7 55.7 41.5 40.6 -10.2%
Annual growth 11.8% -2.6% -8.3% -25.4% -2.2%  
Total legacy 477.5 404.6 319.9 215.2 144.2 -25.9%
Annual growth -15.5% -15.3% -20.9% -32.7% -33.0%  
Total data protocols 1,768.7 1,890.3 2,019.5 2,055.0 2,208.6 5.7%
Annual growth 10.3% 6.9% 6.8% 1.8% 7.5%  

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.4.3 Data protocol revenue market share, by service category (%)
  2007 2008 2009 20101 2011
New data
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 53# 53 # 55 # 59 60
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 25 # 19 # 19 # 17 13
Non-incumbent alternative TSPs 22 # 28 # 26 # 24 27
Legacy data
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 57 60 59 62 68
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 16 13 12 7 6
Non-incumbent alternative TSPs 26 26 29 31 26
Total data protocols
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 54 # 55 # 56 # 59 61
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 23 # 17 # 17 # 16 13
Non-incumbent alternative TSPs 23 # 28 # 27 # 25 26

1. Due to changes in company reporting, incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) results are not consistent with previous years. In addition, Other Protocols were not separately reported for incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) before 2010. This has less than a 2% impact on the results in 2010.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.4.3 Private line revenue market share, by type of TSP
These two pie charts describe the percentage revenue market share of various industry participant groups for the private line market for 2010 and 2011. For 2010: Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 80%; Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 11%; Non-incumbent alternative TSPs: 10%.  For 2011: Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 78%; Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 11%; Non-incumbent alternative TSPs: 11%.
Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.4.4 Private line revenues, by service category ($ millions)
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2007-2011
Private line
Retail 1,006 894 843 807 751 -7.0%
Annual growth -5.6% -11.2% -5.7% -4.2% -7.0%  
Wholesale 674 828 793 729 737 2.3%
Annual growth 12.6% 22.9% -4.3% -8.0% 1.1%  
Total private line 1,680 1,722 1,636 1,536 1,488 -3.0%
Annual growth 0.9% 2.5% -5.0% -6.1% -3.1%  

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.4.5 Private line - revenue market share (%)
  2007 2008 2009 20101 2011
Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory) 73 74 76 80 78
Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 17 16 14 10 11
Non-incumbent alternative TSPs 10 10 10 10 11

1. Due to changes in company reporting, incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) 2010 results may not be compatible with previous years.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.4.4 Data and private line service revenue distribution, by customer size and type of provider (2011)

The following combination column chart shows the relative revenue market share for data and private line for small business  medium business  large business  and very large business  for Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory)  non-incumbent Alternative TSPs  and Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory).  The non-incumbent Alternative TSPs and the Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory) are stacked  and the combined number will be known as Alternative TSP total. For small business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 76%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 13%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 11%.  Alternative TSP total is 24%. For medium business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 69%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 23%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 8%.  Alternative TSP total is 31%. For large business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 65%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 23%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 12%.  Alternative TSP total is 35%. For very large business: For Incumbent TSPs (excluding out-of-territory): 73%; For non-incumbent Alternative TSPs: 13%; For Incumbent TSPs (out-of-territory): 14%.  Alternative TSP total is 27%.

Source: CRTC data collection

5.5 Wireless market sector

This pie chart shows the wireline and wireless revenues as a percentage of total telecommunications revenues in 2011. Wireline: 55%; Wireless: 45%; Telecommunications revenues: $42.7 billion.

Overview

The wireless network covers approximately 20% of Canada’s geographic area and is available to 99% of Canadians. The advanced wireless network which supports handsets such as smartphones and turbo sticks, is available to 99% of Canadians. The LTE network is available to approximately 45% of Canadians. Wireless market sector revenues are the largest component (45%) of total telecommunications revenues.

The wireless market sector consists of three large facilities-based national WSPs, a number of smaller regional facilities-based WSPs, and a small number of MVNOs. As of the first quarter 2012, there are three carriers that have deployed the LTE network, mainly in Canada’s urban centres.

A number of new facilities-based WSPs have recently entered the wireless market sector. Mobile services provided by these new facilities-based WSPs are accessible to 55% of Canadians.

Wireless sector at a glance
  2010 2011 % growth
Revenues ($ billions) 18.0 19.1 6.3
Number of subscribers (millions) 25.8 27.4 6.0
Average revenues (excluding paging)
ARPU per month $57.86 $57.98 0.2%
ARPM $0.10 $0.10 0.0%
Wireless capex/Total telecom capex 22% 24%  
Average capital expenditure per user $6 $7 20.4
Availability (population)
Wireless 99% 99%  
3G availability 98% 99%  
HSPA+ 97% 99%  
Penetration (household)
Wireless 78.2% n.a.  
Wireless only 10.2% n.a.  

Sources: CRTC data collection and Statistics Canada

Wireless sector – Statistical information

Table 5.5.1 Wireless and paging revenues and number of subscribers
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2007-2011
Revenues ($ millions)
Wireless 14,430.0 15,940.3 16,804.0 17,931.2 19,056.3 7.2%
Annual growth 14.5% 10.5% 5.4% 6.7% 6.3%  
Paging 92.8 96.1 89.2 71.9 67.1 -7.8%
Annual growth -3.4% 3.5% -7.2% -19.5% -6.6%  
Total revenues 14,522.8 16,036.4 16,893.2 18,003.0 19,123.4 7.1%
Annual growth 14.4% 10.4% 5.3% 6.6% 6.2%  
Subscribers (thousands)
Wireless 20,277.4 22,092.5 23,811.9 25,825.4 27,387.2 7.8%
Annual growth 8.2% 9.0% 7.8% 8.5% 6.0%  
Paging 390.4 319.3 253.6 241.3 # 219.0 -13.5%
Annual growth -22.6% -18.2% -20.6% -4.80% # -9.3%  
ARPU ($/month)
Wireless 59.3 60.1 58.8 57.9 58.0  
Annual growth 5.9% 1.3% -2.2% -1.5% 0.2%  

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.5.1 Wireless revenue and subscriber growth rates
(excluding paging)

This line chart shows the mobile wireless revenue and subscriber percentage growth for each year between 2007 and 2011. Wireless revenue growth: 14.5%, 10.5%, 5.4%, 6.7%, 6.3%. Subscriber: 8.2%, 9.0%, 7.8%, 8.5%, 6.0%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.5.2 Wireless and paging revenues components ($ millions)
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2007-2011
Basic voice 10,117.0 10,481.9 10,323.5 10,343.7 9,855.5 -0.7%
Annual growth 11.1% 3.6% -1.5% 0.2% -4.7%  
Long distance 1,075.7 1,224.0 1,204.9 1,276.5 1,289.5 4.6%
Annual growth 17.1% 13.8% -1.6% 5.9% 1.0%  
Paging 92.8 96.1 89.2 71.9 67.1 -7.8%
Annual growth -3.4% 3.5% -7.2% -19.5% -6.6%  
Terminal 699.5 803.0 1,106.3 1,171.8 1,419.3 19.3%
Annual growth 14.4% 14.8% 37.8% 5.9% 21.1%  
Data and other
Data n.a n.a n.a 3,885.7 5,066.4 n.a
Roaming
Voice n.a n.a n.a 776.1 830.9 n.a
Data n.a n.a n.a 390.6 525.3 n.a
Total roaming n.a n.a n.a 1,166.7 1,356.2 n.a
Other n.a n.a n.a 86.9 69.3 n.a
Total data and other 2,537.7 3,431.4 4,169.2 5,139.3 6,491.9 26.5%
Annual growth 29.5% 35.2% 21.5% 23.3% 26.3%  
Total 14,522.8 16,036.4 16,893.2 18,003.0 19,123.4 7.1%
Annual growth 14.4% 10.4% 5.3% 6.6% 6.2%  

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.5.3 Prepaid and post‑paid wireless revenues (basic voice and long distance) ($ millions)
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 CAGR
2007-2011
Prepaid 934.6 912.9 846.4 851.5 777.2 -4.5%
Annual growth 26.5% -2.3% -7.3% 0.6% -8.7%  
Post-paid 10,211.0 10,745.7 10,610.6 10,768.7 10,317.1 0.3%
Annual growth 10.6% 5.2% -1.3% 1.5% -4.2%  
Total 11,145.9 11,658.6 11,456.9 11,620.2 11,094.3 -0.1%
Annual growth 11.7% 4.6% -1.7% 1.4% -4.5%  

Source:

Table 5.5.4 Number of post‑paid subscribers as a percentage of total wireless subscribers
  2008 2009 2010 2011
Post-paid 78 79 79 78

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.5.2 Capex and ACEPU

This line column chart on two axes shows the total wireless capital expenditures in millions of dollars and the average capital expenditures per subscriber in dollars for each year between 2007 and 2011. CAPEX: 1720, 6080, 2250, 1820, 2330; ACEPU: 7.1, 22.9, 7.9, 5.9 and 7.1.

*2008 capex includes an additional $4.6 billion due to the AWS auction.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.5.3 Retail and wholesale revenue split (2011)

This horizontal bar chart shows the total retail and wholesale wireless revenues in millions of dollars for 2011. Retail: 18,410; Wholesale: 714

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.5.4 Wireless TSPs’ subscriber market share

This side by side pie chart shows the mobile wireless subscriber market share of Rogers, Bell Group, Telus, New entrants and Others for 2010 and 2011, respectively. Rogers: 37%, 36%; Bell Group: 29%, 28%; Telus: 27%, 27%; New entrants: 2%, 4%; Others: 5%, 5%.

  1. “Other” includes MTS Allstream, SaskTel, and smaller WSPs.
  2. “Bell Group” includes Bell Canada, Northwestel Mobility, Bell Mobility, Télébec, NorthernTel, Skyterra, Virgin, and Latitude Wireless.
  3. “New entrants” refers to the new wireless entities that acquired spectrum in Industry Canada’s 2008 AWS spectrum auction.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.5.5 Wireless TSPs’ revenue market share

This side by side pie chart shows the mobile wireless revenue market share of Rogers, Bell Group, Telus, New entrants and Others for 2010 and 2011, respectively. Rogers: 39%, 37%; Bell Group: 28%, 28%; Telus: 27%, 28%; New entrants: 1%, 2%; Others: 5%, 5%.

  1. “Other” includes MTS Allstream, SaskTel, and smaller WSPs
  2. “Bell Group” includes Bell Canada, Northwestel Mobility, Bell Mobility, Télébec, NorthernTel, SkyTerra, Virgin, and Latitude Wireless.
  3. “New entrants” refers to the new wireless entities that acquired spectrum in Industry Canada’s 2008 AWS spectrum auction.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.5.5 Wireless subscriber market share, by province(2011)
Province Bell Group2 TCC Rogers New entrants3 Other1
British Columbia 17% 39% 42% 2% 0%
Alberta 22% 49% 26% 2% 0%
Saskatchewan 8% 8% 13% 0% 72%
Manitoba 6% 9% 32% 0% 53%
Ontario 28% 19% 47% 5% 1%
Quebec 34% 28% 31% 7% 0%
New Brunswick 59% 20% 21% 0% 0%
Prince Edward Island 63% 20% 18% 0% 0%
Nova Scotia 53% 28% 19% 0% 0%
Newfoundland and Labrador 73% 24% 2% 0% 0%
The North4 84% 0% 0% 0% 16%
  1. “Other” includes MTS Allstream, SaskTel, and smaller WSPs.
  2. “Bell Group” includes Bell Canada, Northwestel Mobility, Bell Mobility, Télébec, NorthernTel, SkyTerra, Virgin, and Latitude Wireless.
  3. “New entrants” refers to the new wireless entities that acquired spectrum in Industry Canada’s 2008 AWS spectrum auction.
  4. The North includes Yukon, the Northwest Territories, and Nunavut.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.5.6 ARPU, by province (excluding paging)
Province 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
British Columbia $59.10 $63.53 $60.88 $60.45 $62.78
Alberta $73.81 $75.26 $70.28 $69.58 $74.96
Saskatchewan $55.11 $57.66 $58.11 $62.93 $57.14
Manitoba $54.46 $57.05 $52.88 $54.51 $55.73
Ontario $59.63 $60.61 $62.75 $58.72 $56.76
Quebec $50.21 $50.45 $52.15 $49.98 $50.36
New Brunswick $52.87 $50.00 $51.08 $52.03 $54.19
Prince Edward Island $63.58 $64.89 $56.18 $48.43 $52.33
Nova Scotia $54.59 $52.57 $52.70 $54.72 $56.34
Newfoundland and Labrador $50.29 $47.43 $48.22 $50.45 $55.40

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.5.7 Average monthly churn rates (percent)
  2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
Bell Mobility 1.7 1.6 1.6 1.9 2.0
Rogers 1.6 1.5 1.4 1.5 1.8
TCC 1.5 1.6 1.6 1.6 1.7

Sources: Companies’ annual reports and CRTC data collection

Figure 5.5.6 Population coverage and penetration (2011)

This line column chart on two axes shows the wireless coverage, penetration, HSPA+ and LTE coverage as a percentage of population by province and nationally. The second axis shows the ARPU by province in 2011. BC: 99%, 81%, 99%, 52%, $63; AB: 100%, 97%, 100%, 16%, $75; SK: 99%, 78%, 96%, 0%, $57; MB: 98%, 74%, 98%, 0%, $56; ON: 100%, 81%, 100%, 61%, $57; QC: 100%, 65%, 99%, 48%, $50; NB: 100%, 69%, 99%, 0%, $54; PEI: 100%, 66%, 100%, 0%, $52; NS: 100%, 74%, 100%, 36%, $56; NL: 97%, 74%, 96%, 24%, $55; CDN: 99%, 78%, 99%, 45%, $59.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.5.7 Mobile data only plan revenues, subscriptions and average monthly revenues per subscriber, by data plan capacity (2011)

This side by side pie chart shows the percent of revenues and subscribers for mobile data only plan for three categories, less than 501 MB, between 501 MB and 2 GB and greater than 2 GB. Revenues: 53%, 16%, 31%; Subscribers: 67%, 13%, 20%.

Capacity: Less than 501 MB Between 501 MB and 2 GB Greater than 2 GB
Average revenues per subscriber per month ($) 39 58 75
  • Data only plans include built-in and portable access devices such as hubs, sticks, dongles, laptops, etc.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.5.8 Total number of MMS and SMS messages

This bar chart shows the total and daily number of SMS and MMS messages for each year between 2009 and 2011. SMS and MMS: 51B, 76B, 112B; SMS and MMS daily: 140M, 207M; 306M.

  • The number of MMS and SMS messages includes both incoming and outgoing messages.

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.5.9 Established carriers’ coverage v. new entrants’ coverage

This bar chart shows established carriers’ versus new entrants’ national coverage for each year between 2009 and 2011. Established carriers: 99%, 99%, 99%; New entrants: N/A, 47%, 55%.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.5.8 Mobile broadband (2011)
  Number of subscribers (millions) Percentage of all subscribers
Standard mobile broadband 12.0 44%
Dedicated mobile 1.2 4%
Total mobile broadband 13.2 48%

Source: CRTC data collection

Figure 5.5.10 Percent of mobile revenues, by plan (2011)

This pie chart shows the percent of revenues by type of mobile plan for 2011. Voice: 39%; Standard mobile broadband: 57%; Dedicated mobile broadband: 4%

  • Standard mobile broadband refers to subscribers who own smartphones, rocket hubs, or regular mobile phones with a subscription to a data and voice plan. Standard mobile broadband includes BlackBerry (BB) plans (BB unlimited social networking, BB unlimited email, BB regular bucket-based data plans, and non-BB regular based data plans). Excluded are mobile phone plans with browsing only.
  • Dedicated mobile broadband refers to subscribers with subscriptions to dedicated data services over a mobile network. These subscriptions are purchased separately from voice services, either as a stand-alone service (modem/dongle) or as an add-on data package to voice services, which requires an additional subscription.

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.5.9 Canadian wireless monthly service rates - incumbents v. new entrants (2011)
Baskets Vancouver Toronto Montreal Average
Level 1 Basket (low-volume use, 150 minutes per month)
Incumbents 34.53 34.38 34.80 34.57
New entrants 24.43 22.95 28.08 25.15
Percentage Differential -29% -33% -19% -27%
Level 2 Basket (average use, 450 minutes and 200 text per month)
Incumbents 51.82 51.48 50.87 51.39
New entrants 35.55 38.37 44.68 39.53
Percentage Differential -31% -25% -12% -23%
Level 3 Basket (high-volume use, 1,200 minutes, 200 text and 1GB data per month)
Incumbents 98.82 98.82 99.22 98.95
New entrants 55.20 56.80 75.45 62.48
Percentage Differential -44% -43% -24% -37%
  • Averages calculated on a market share and population weighted basis.

Source: Price comparison study conducted for the CRTC in 2012 by Wall Communications Inc.; see Appendix 4 for a summary of the assumptions and methodologies used.

Table 5.5.10 Canadian wireless monthly Internet service rates - incumbents v. new entrants (2011)
Baskets Vancouver Toronto Montreal Average
Level 1 Basket (2 GB usage per month)
Incumbents 53.05 53.05 53.05 53.05
New entrants 34.99 34.99 36.61 35.53
Percentage Differential -34% -34% -31% -33%
Level 2 Basket (5 GB usage per month)
Incumbents 66.38 66.38 61.38 64.72
New entrants 39.99 39.99 46.61 42.19
Percentage Differential -40% -40% -24% -35%
  • Averages calculated on a market share and population weighted basis.

Source: Price comparison study conducted for the CRTC in 2012 by Wall Communications Inc.; see Appendix 4 for a summary of the assumptions and methodologies used.

Table 5.5.11 Coverage, penetration, and ARPU by province (2011)
  Coverage (%) Penetration rate (%) ARPU ($/month)
wireless HSPA+ LTE
British Columbia 99.0 98.8 51.6 81.0 62.78
Alberta 99.8 99.8 16.0 97.1 74.96
Saskatchewan 99.2 95.7 - 78.0 57.14
Manitoba 98.5 97.8 - 74.2 55.73
Ontario 99.8 99.7 61.0 80.9 56.76
Quebec 99.2 99.1 47.9 65.0 50.36
New Brunswick 99.8 99.5 - 68.2 54.19
Prince Edward Island 100.0 99.6 - 65.9 52.33
Nova Scotia 99.9 99.7 36.1 74.2 56.34
Newfoundland and Labrador 96.9 96.3 24.4 74.2 55.40
The North 66.4 47.9 36.7 7.6 55.00
Canada 99.3 99.0 44.7 77.8 58.74

Source: CRTC data collection

Table 5.5.12 Percent coverage by the number of facilities-based wireless service providers, by province (2011)
  Number of facilities-based wireless service providers
1 2 3 or more
British Columbia 44 13 40
Alberta 4 96 0
Saskatchewan 4 53 43
Manitoba 4 73 22
Ontario 4 5 90
Quebec 1 4 95
New Brunswick 2 23 73
Prince Edward Island 16 75 8
Nova Scotia 1 32 67
Newfoundland and Labrador 2 32 65
The North 59 7 0
Canada 3 18 79

Source: CRTC data collection

Map 5.5.1 Presence of wireless facilities-based service providers

This map displays the presence and the number of wireless facilities-based service providers in Canada.

Source: CRTC data collection

Map 5.5.2 Presence of HSPA+ wireless facilities-based service providers

This map displays the presence and the number of HSPA+ wireless facilities-based service providers in Canada.

Source: CRTC data collection