Ottawa, 24 January 2012
The Commission extends the mandatory distribution of The Weather Network/Météomédia on the digital basic service from 31 August 2015 to 31 August 2018, subject to certain conditions. The revised mandatory distribution is set out in the appendix to this order.
1. In The Weather Network/Météomédia – Licence renewal and extension of the mandatory distribution of the service, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-438, 22 July 2011 (Broadcasting Decision 2011-438), the Commission indicated that it would extend the mandatory distribution of The Weather Network/Météomédia (TWN/MM) on the digital basic service from 31 August 2015 to 31 August 2018, subject to Pelmorex Communications Inc.’s (Pelmorex) fulfilling the following conditions relating to the National Alert Aggregation and Dissemination (NAAD) System:
2. In its letter to the Commission dated 10 January 2012, Pelmorex indicated that it had fulfilled the above conditions, with the exception of executing NAAD User Agreements with the EMOs of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
3. The Commission notes that the Northwest Territories and Nunavut have indicated their support for the establishment of a National Public Alerting System (NPAS), as set out in correspondence provided by Pelmorex, and that execution of a NAAD User Agreement between Nunavut and Pelmorex is expected in late January 2012. Although the Government of the Northwest Territories has indicated that it is not in a position to participate at this time, the Commission notes that the Government of the Northwest Territories will continue to monitor the progress of the system through its participation in the Pelmorex Alerting Governance Council and will examine its capacity to participate in the future. In the meantime, the Commission notes Environment Canada will continue to issue emergency alerts for that region.
4. The Commission remains of the view that the participation of all FPT EMOs is essential. The Commission considers that once Pelmorex has executed a NAAD User Agreement with the EMO of Nunavut, it will have executed agreements with all FTP EMOs that have indicated they are capable of participating in the NPAS at this time. Accordingly, the Commission is extending the mandatory distribution of TWN/MM on the digital basic service to 31 August 2018, provided that Pelmorex execute such an agreement with the EMO of Nunavut by no later than 1 April 2012 and meet the reporting requirements discussed below.
5. Further, the Commission strongly expects Pelmorex to execute a NAAD User Agreement with the EMO of the Northwest Territories by 31 August 2015. The Commission directs Pelmorex to report to the Commission on its negotiations and efforts to reach such an agreement every 6 months from the date of this order.
6. As indicated in Broadcasting Decision 2011-438, the mandatory distribution order for TWN/MM on the digital basic service will remain in effect until 31 August 2015. In the event that Pelmorex does not execute an agreement with the EMO of Nunavut by 1 April 2012 or that it fails to report on the progress of its negotiations and efforts to reach an agreement with the the EMO of the Northwest Territories every 6 months from the date of this order, the extension of the mandatory distribution order to 31 August 2018 will not come into effect. These conditions are reflected in the attached Distribution Order.
*This document is to be appended to the licence.
The Commission hereby orders, pursuant to section 9(1)(h) of the Broadcasting Act, persons licensed to carry on broadcasting distribution undertakings of the types identified in paragraph (a) below to distribute the Category A service The Weather Network/Météomédia, as directed below, to all digital subscribers as part of the digital basic service, effective 1 September 2010 until 31 August 2018, on the following terms and conditions:
For the purposes of this Order, the terms “anglophone market,” “basic service,” “Category A service,” “direct-to-home distribution undertaking,” “francophone market,” “licensed” and “terrestrial broadcasting distribution undertaking” shall have the same meanings as those set out in the Broadcasting Distribution Regulations, as amended from time to time.