ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2009-710
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2009-611
Ottawa, 20 November 2009
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Victoria and Tahsis, British Columbia
Application 2009-1260-2, received 14 September 2009
CBCV-FM Victoria – New FM transmitter at Tahsis
1. The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the radio programming undertaking CBCV-FM Victoria in order to operate a low-power FM transmitter at Tahsis, British Columbia. The new FM transmitter will replace the licensee’s AM transmitter CBXP Tahsis. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application. The implementation is subject to the notification by the Department of Industry (the Department) discussed in paragraph 5 below.
2. The new transmitter will operate at 90.5 MHz (channel 213LP) with an effective radiated power of 46.5 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of -209.0 metres).
3. The CBC submitted that this change is necessary because the new landlord of the current site for the AM transmitter CBXP has advised the licensee that the present lease would not be renewed. It decided to replace its AM transmitter with a new low-power FM transmitter in order to maintain its present Radio One coverage to Tahsis.
4. The licensee is authorized, by condition of licence, to simulcast the programming of CBCV-FM on the new FM transmitter and on CBXP for a transition period of three months following the commencement of operations of the FM transmitter. Pursuant to sections 9(1)(e) and 24(1) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act), and consistent with the licensee’s request, the Commission revokes the licence for CBXP effective at the end of the simulcast period.
5. The Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued. Therefore, in the absence of the notification by the Department, the licensee will not be able to implement the new technical parameters approved in this decision.
6. Given that the technical parameters approved in this decision are for a low-power unprotected FM service, the Commission also reminds the licensee that it will have to select another frequency if the Department so requires.
7. The FM transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 20 November 2011. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
This decision is to be appended to the licence. It is available in alternative format upon request and may also be examined in PDF format or in HTML at the following Internet site: http://www.crtc.gc.ca.
- Date modified: