ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-775
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 13 October 2011
Ottawa, 15 December 2011
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Kelowna and Field, British Columbia
CBTK-FM Kelowna – New transmitter at Field
1. The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the radio programming undertaking CBTK-FM Kelowna in order to operate a nested low-power FM rebroadcasting transmitter at Field, British Columbia to replace its existing AM transmitter CBRD. The Commission did not receive any interventions concerning this application. The implementation is subject to the notification by the Department of Industry (the Department) set out in paragraph 5.
2. The new transmitter will operate on 97.1 MHz (channel 246LP) with an effective radiated power of 9 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of -502.4 metres).
3. The licensee indicated that the transition to FM was necessary to keep from adding infrastructure inside the National Park and that this option would also greatly improve the quality of service. The CBC also indicated that it wished to relinquish its authority for CBRD and delete it from the CBTK-FM licence once the FM transmitter was approved.
4. Pursuant to sections 9(1)(e) and 24(2) of the Broadcasting Act (the Act) and consistent with the CBC’s request, the Commission will amend the licence for CBTK-FM Kelowna by deleting the AM transmitter CBRD Field upon notification that the FM transmitter at Field has commenced operations.
Condition prior to the implementation of the transmitter
5. The Commission reminds the licensee that pursuant to section 22(1) of the Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued. Therefore, in the absence of the notification by the Department, the applicant will not be able to implement the transmitter approved in this decision.
6. Given that the technical parameters approved in this decision are for a low-power unprotected FM service, the Commission also reminds the applicant that it will have to select another frequency if the Department so requires.
7. The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 15 December 2013. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
 A “nested” FM rebroadcasting transmitter is a transmitter located within the coverage contours of the originating station to supplement coverage to an area experiencing reduced signal quality.
- Date modified: