Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-159
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 29 November 2011
Ottawa, 19 March 2012
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Prince Rupert and Kispiox, British Columbia
CFPR Prince Rupert – New transmitter in Kispiox
1. The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the AM radio programming undertaking CFPR Prince Rupert, British Columbia in order to add a new FM transmitter in Kispiox. The implementation is subject to the notification by the Department of Industry (the Department) discussed in paragraph 4 below. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. The new transmitter will operate at 91.3 MHz (channel 217A) with an effective radiated power of 252 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of -329.6 metres).
3. The new FM transmitter will replace the AM transmitter CBTD presently serving the community of Kispiox. The CBC submitted that this change is necessary because the current AM transmission site is in the village’s totem pole park and the equipment is detracting from the park.
Condition prior to the implementation of the transmitter
4. The Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued. Therefore, in the absence of the notification by the Department, the applicant will not be able to implement the transmitter approved in this decision.
5. The FM transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 19 March 2014. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
* This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: