ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-268
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Route reference: 2011-675
Ottawa, 4 May 2012
Evan Kosiner, on behalf of a corporation to be incorporated
Application 2011-1196-3, received 15 August 2011
Public hearing in Miramichi, New Brunswick
16 January 2012
Bulb Television – Specialty Category B service
The Commission approves an application for a broadcasting licence to operate a new specialty Category B service.
1. Evan Kosiner, on behalf of a corporation to be incorporated (the applicant), filed an application for a broadcasting licence to operate Bulb Television, a national, English-language specialty Category B service that would offer programming consisting of innovative conferences, speakers and lectures from top Canadian and international presenters. The Commission received interventions in support of this application.
2. The applicant will be wholly owned and controlled by Evan Kosiner.
3. The applicant proposed to draw programming from the following program categories set out in Item 6 of Schedule I to the Specialty Services Regulations, 1990, as amended from time to time: 2(a), 5(a), 5(b) and 12.
4. The Commission is satisfied that the application complies with all applicable policies, terms and conditions, including those set out in Public Notice 2000-6, Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100, and Broadcasting Regulatory Policies 2010-786 and 2010-786-1. Accordingly, the Commission approves the application by Evan Kosiner, on behalf of a corporation to be incorporated, for a broadcasting licence to operate the national, English-language specialty Category B service Bulb Television. The terms and conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision.
5. The Commission reminds the applicant that distribution of this service is subject to the requirements set out in the Broadcasting Distribution Regulations.
- Standard conditions of licence, expectations and encouragements for Category B pay and specialty services – Corrected Appendices 1 and 2, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-786-1, 18 July 2011
- Standard conditions of licence, expectations and encouragements for Category B pay and specialty services, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-786, 25 October 2010
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Licensing framework policy for new digital pay and specialty services, Public Notice CRTC 2000-6, 13 January 2000
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-268
Terms and conditions of licence for the specialty Category B service Bulb Television
A licence will be issued once the applicant has satisfied the Commission with supporting documentation that the following requirements have been met:
- an eligible Canadian corporation has been incorporated in accordance with the application in all material respects;
- the applicant has entered into a distribution agreement with at least one licensed distributor; and
- the applicant has informed the Commission in writing that it is prepared to commence operations and has provided the Commission with a launch date for the service. The undertaking must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 48 months from the date of this decision.
The licence will expire 31 August 2018.
Conditions of licence
1. The licensee shall adhere to the conditions of licence set out in Appendix 1 to Standard conditions of licence, expectations and encouragements for Category B pay and specialty services – Corrected Appendices 1 and 2, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-786-1, 18 July 2011, as amended from time to time.
2. (a) The licensee shall provide a national, English-language specialty Category B service that will offer programming consisting of innovative conferences, speakers and lectures from top Canadian and international presenters.
(b) The programming shall be drawn exclusively from the following program categories set out in Item 6 of Schedule I to the Specialty Services Regulations, 1990, as amended from time to time:
2 (a) Analysis and interpretation
5 (a) Formal education and pre-school
(b) Informal education/Recreation and leisure
3. The service approved hereby is designated as a Category B service.
For the purposes of the conditions of this licence, “broadcast day” refers to the 24-hour period beginning each day at 6 a.m. or any other period approved by the Commission.
- Date modified: