Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-489
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 3 April 2012
Ottawa, 12 September 2012
Bonne Bay Cottage Hospital Heritage Corporation
Norris Point and Rocky Harbour, Newfoundland and Labrador
CHBB-FM Norris Point – New low-power transmitter at Rocky Harbour
1. The Commission approves the application by Bonne Bay Cottage Hospital Heritage Corporation (Bonne Bay) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language, low-power community radio programming undertaking CHBB-FM Norris Point, Newfoundland and Labrador, in order to add a new low-power FM transmitter at Rocky Harbour. The Commission received an intervention in support of this application.
2. The new transmitter will operate at 98.1 MHz (channel 251LP) with an average effective radiated power of 50 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of -31.2 metres).1
3. Bonne Bay stated that the topography of the region interferes with its signal in Rocky Harbour and that the addition of a rebroadcasting transmitter is necessary for it to adequately serve that community.
Conditions prior to the implementation of the transmitter
4. The Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry (the Department) notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
5. Given that the technical parameters approved in this decision are for a low-power unprotected FM service, the Commission also reminds the licensee that it will have to select another frequency if the Department so requires.
6. The FM transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 12 September 2014. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
* This decision is to be appended to the licence.
 These technical parameters reflect those approved by the Department of Industry.
- Date modified: