Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2012-546
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 7 July 2012
Ottawa, 9 October 2012
Télévision Sex-Shop inc.
Vanessa – Licence amendment
1. The Commission approves an application by Télévision Sex-Shop inc. to amend the broadcasting licence for the French-language, pay television programming undertaking Vanessa in order to have the service considered as a French- and English-language service. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. The licensee indicated that the goal of its application is to make its service available to an English-language audience, without having a negative impact on the quantity of bandwidth or channels available to broadcasting distribution undertakings.
3. The licensee added that should its application be approved, English-language television programs would be subtitled in French, whereas French-language programs would be subtitled in English. The licensee confirmed that subtitling its programs would not have a negative impact on closed-captioning for the deaf or hard of hearing.
4. The Commission notes that the regulatory framework for pay television programming undertaking is the same for both French- and English-language markets. Further, the Commission notes that no Category A or C service operating in the same genre is currently operating in any of those linguistic markets.
5. Consequently, condition of licence 2 for Vanessa is replaced by the following:
The licensee shall provide a national, French- and English-language Category 2 pay television programming service devoted to the themes of sex appeal, sensuality, eroticism and sexuality. Programming could also include documentaries, news coverage and magazine programs focussing on the industries associated with these themes and the personalities involved in these industries.
6. The Commission therefore expects the subtitling of French- and English-language programs not to have an undue negative impact on closed-captioning for the deaf or hard of hearing.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: