ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2012-560-1
This page has been archived on the Web
Information identified as archived on the Web is for reference, research or recordkeeping purposes. Archived Decisions, Notices and Orders (DNOs) remain in effect except to the extent they are amended or reversed by the Commission, a court, or the government. The text of archived information has not been altered or updated after the date of archiving. Changes to DNOs are published as “dashes” to the original DNO number. Web pages that are archived on the Web are not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards. As per the Communications Policy of the Government of Canada, you can request alternate formats by contacting us.
Additional reference: 2012-560, 2012-560-2 and 2012-560-3
Ottawa, 20 November 2012
Notice of hearing
11 December 2012
Revised hearing time and withdrawal of item 2
Further to Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2012-560, the Commission announces the following (the change is in bold):
The Commission will hold a hearing commencing on 11 December 2012 at noon, at the Conference Centre, Phase IV, 140 Promenade du Portage, Gatineau, Quebec.
In addition, the following item is withdrawn from the hearing:
1. In Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2012-560, the Commission indicated that it appeared that the licensee remained out of compliance with its nature of service definition. Moreover, the Commission indicated that the actions taken by the licensee pursuant to Broadcasting Decision 2011-447 and later correspondence were not consistent with the Commission’s directions in this matter. As a result, the Commission determined that G4techTV remained out of compliance with its condition of licence regarding its nature of service definition and with the Commission’s policy on program genre exclusivity, set out in Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100.
2. On 2 November 2012, Rogers Broadcasting Limited (RBL) filed a letter with the Commission in which it stated that it takes G4techTV’s non-compliance very seriously. In that letter, RBL further stated the following: “we have taken immediate steps to implement programming changes by November 5th, 2012 that, in our view, will bring [G4techTV’s] into full compliance with its nature of service and all other regulatory requirements and policies. Should the Commission deem the compliance measures RBL has taken to be satisfactory, we respectfully request the suspension of our appearance at the December 11th, 2012 show cause hearing.” RBL also committed to file monthly program schedules with the Commission to confirm its ongoing compliance with its nature of service definition.
3. In light of the above, it appears to the Commission that RBL has taken the necessary steps to resolve the issues related to G4TechTV’s non-compliance with its condition of licence regarding its nature of service definition. The Commission therefore suspends G4TechTV’s appearance at the 11 December 2012 hearing.
4. To ensure that G4TechTV’s programming remains consistent with its nature of service definition, RBL must submit G4TechTV’s program schedule to the Commission each month beginning 5 November 2012 and ending 5 November 2013. The Commission will review G4TechTV’s monthly programming schedules for this period, after which time it will determine whether any further action is required.
5. The Commission cautions that if at any time during this period it appears that the programming of G4TechTV is not consistent with its nature of service definition, the Commission may take further action, including reconvening the mandatory order hearing announced in Broadcasting Notice of Consultation 2012-560. In addition, the Commission notes that G4TechTV’s non-compliance may be raised as part of its next licence renewal proceeding.
- Notice of hearing, Broadcasting Notice of Consultation CRTC 2012-560, 12 October 2012
- Rogers Media Inc. – Group-based licence renewals, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2011-447, 27 July 2011
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory Policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Date modified: