Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-1
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 31 August 2012
Ottawa, 4 January 2013
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Calgary and Coleman, Alberta
CBR Calgary – New transmitter in Coleman
1. The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language AM radio programming undertaking CBR Calgary, Alberta in order to add a new FM transmitter in Coleman. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. The new transmitter will operate at 102.3 MHz (channel 272A1) with an average effective radiated power of 51 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of -168.8 metres).
3. The new FM transmitter will replace the existing AM transmitter CBXC presently serving the community of Coleman. The CBC submitted that this change will result in a better quality signal for listeners to the station.
4. The Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
5. The FM transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 4 January 2015. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
* This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: