Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-183
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 4 January 2013
Ottawa, 11 April 2013
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Matane and Murdochville, Quebec
CBGA-FM Matane – New transmitter in Murdochville
1. The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the French-language radio programming undertaking CBGA-FM Matane, Quebec, in order to operate an FM rebroadcasting transmitter in Murdochville to replace its current AM transmitter CBGA-6. The new transmitter will allow listeners to receive programming from La Première Chaîne originating from CBGA-FM. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
2. The new transmitter will operate at 97.7 MHz (channel 249A) with an average effective radiated power of 98 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above terrain of 367.3 meters).
3. The licensee stated that the operation of a new FM transmitter was necessary since the equipment for CBGA-6 was obsolete and would be dismantled. The CBC further submitted that this change would result in a better quality signal for listeners.
4. The CBC is authorized, by condition of licence, to simulcast the programming of the new FM transmitter on CBGA-6 for a transition period of three months following the commencement of operation of the new transmitter. The licensee must cease operating its AM transmitter CBGA-6 after this period.
5. The Commission reminds the licensee that pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
6. The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 11 April 2015. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: