Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-190
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 21 January 2013
Ottawa, 17 April 2013
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Thunder Bay and Sioux Lookout, Ontario
CBQT-FM Thunder Bay – New transmitter in Sioux Lookout
1. The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CBQT-FM Thunder Bay to replace its AM transmitters CBLS Sioux Lookout and CBQW Hudson with an FM transmitter at Sioux Lookout. The Commission did not receive any interventions concerning this application.
2. The new FM transmitter will operate at 95.3 MHz (channel 237A) with an average effective radiated power of 500 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 182 metres).
3. The CBC stated that the new transmitter was needed to improve the quality of the signal, increase Radio One’s coverage and provide savings on operational costs.
4. The licensee is authorized by condition of licence to simulcast the programming of CBQT-FM Thunder Bay on the AM transmitters CBLS Sioux Lookout and CBQW Hudson for a transition period of one month following the commencement of operation of the new FM transmitter. The licensee must then cease operation of these AM transmitters.
5. The Commission reminds the licensee that pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
6. The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 17 April 2015. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: