Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-226
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 4 January 2013
Ottawa, 8 May 2013
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Québec and Murdochville, Quebec
CBVE-FM Québec – New transmitter in Murdochville
1. The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CBVE-FM Québec in order to operate an FM transmitter in Murdochville to replace the existing AM transmitter CBMJ Murdochville. The CBC also requested authorization to simulcast the programming of CBVE-FM on CBMJ for a period of three months to ensure proper coverage during the transition. The licensee submitted that the current AM installation has become outdated. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. The new transmitter will operate at 99.5 MHz (channel 258A) with an effective radiated power of 98 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of 367.3 metres).
3. The CBC is authorized, by condition of licence, to continue operating the AM transmitter for a period of three months following the commencement of operation of the new FM transmitter. The licensee must cease operating its AM transmitter CBMJ after this period.
4. The Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
5. The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 8 May 2015. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: