Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-31
Route reference: Part 1 applications posted on 10 September 2012
Ottawa, 31 January 2013
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Edmonton and Edson, Grande Cache, High Level, Fort Vermilion and Rainbow Lake, Alberta
CBX Edmonton – New transmitters in Edson, Grande Cache, High Level, Fort Vermilion and Rainbow Lake
1. The Commission approves the applications by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language AM radio programming undertaking CBX Edmonton, Alberta, in order to operate low-power FM transmitters in Edson, Grande Cache, High Level, Fort Vermilion and Rainbow Lake. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with these applications.
2. The transmitters will operate in accordance with the following technical parameters:
|Location||Frequency||Channel||Average effective radiated power||Effective height of antenna above average terrain|
|Edson||95.3 MHz||237LP||50 watts||3.5 metres|
|Grande Cache||92.3 MHz||222LP||50 watts||2.9 metres|
|High Level||99.5 MHz||258LP||50 watts||18.2 metres|
|Fort Vermilion||105.1 MHz||286LP||50 watts||23.2 metres|
|Rainbow Lake||101.5 MHz||268LP||50 watts||11.2 metres|
3. The new transmitters will replace the AM transmitters currently serving the aforementioned locations. The CBC requested these changes to offer a better quality signal of its Radio One service to its listeners. The licensee indicated that if the applications are approved, it will relinquish its authority for these AM transmitters.
4. The Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, the authority for the new transmitters will only be effective when the Department of Industry (the Department) notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that broadcasting certificates will be issued.
5. Given that the technical parameters approved in this decision are for low-power unprotected FM services, the Commission also reminds the licensee that it will have to select another frequency if the Department so requires.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: