Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-577
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 16 August 2013
Ottawa, 31 October 2013
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Kelowna and Grand Forks, British Columbia
CBTK-FM Kelowna – New FM transmitter at Grand Forks
1. The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CBTK-FM Kelowna in order to operate an FM transmitter at Grand Forks to replace its AM transmitter CBRJ, which rebroadcasts the programming of the CBC’s national English-language network service Radio One. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
2. The new transmitter will operate at 107.3 MHz (channel 297A1) with an average effective radiated power of 252 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height above average terrain of -363.3 metres).
3. The CBC stated that the current AM installation at Grand Forks was outdated and that the new FM transmitter would improve the quality of the Radio One signal.
4. The licensee is authorized by condition of licence to simulcast the programming of CBTK-FM Kelowna on the AM transmitter CBRJ for a transition period of three months following the commencement of operation of the new FM transmitter. The licensee must then cease operation of its AM transmitter CBRJ Grand Forks.
5. The Commission reminds the licensee that pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
6. The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 31 October 2015. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: