Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2013-590
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 11 June 2013
Ottawa, 6 November 2013
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Saint John and St. Stephen, New Brunswick
CBD-FM Saint John – New transmitter in St. Stephen
1. The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CBD-FM Saint John in order to operate an FM transmitter in St. Stephen, New Brunswick to replace the existing AM transmitter CBAO St. Stephen. The CBC also requested authorization to simulcast the programming of CBD-FM on CBAO for a period of one month to ensure proper coverage during the transition. The Commission did not receive any interventions in connection with this application.
2. The new transmitter will operate at 88.1 MHz (channel 201A1) with an average effective radiated power of 233 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of -34.4 metres).
3. The CBC submitted that this change will improve the signal quality in St. Stephen.
4. The CBC is authorized, by condition of licence, to continue operating the AM transmitter for a period of three months following the commencement of operation of the new FM transmitter. The licensee must cease operating its AM transmitter CBAO after this period.
5. The Commission reminds the licensee that, pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
6. The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 6 November 2015. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: