ARCHIVED - Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2014-436
This page has been archived on the Web
Route reference: Part 1 application posted on 21 May 2014
Ottawa, 20 August 2014
Ethnic Channels Group Limited
Addition of BeIN Español to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution
The Commission approves an application to add BeIN Español to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution (the list) and amends the list accordingly. The revised list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca, by clicking on “TV & Radio” and selecting “Programming.”
- The Commission received an application from Ethnic Channels Group Limited (ECGL), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add BeIN Español to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution (the list).
- ECGL described BeIN Español as a 24-hour third-language (100% Spanish-language) niche service providing sports programming. Its target audience is Spanish-speaking sports viewers, and its programming originates from the United States.
- In Broadcasting Public Notices 2004-96 and 2008-100, the Commission stated that requests to add non-Canadian general interest third-language services to the list would generally be approved, subject to any requirement it deemed appropriate. In Broadcasting Public Notice 2008-100, the Commission stated that non-Canadian third-language services that provide narrowly targeted or “niche” programming would be subject to the same approach as non-Canadian general interest third-language services.
- The Commission received an intervention commenting on the present application from Telelatino Network Inc. (Telelatino), to which the applicant did not reply. The public record for this application can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca or by using the application number provided above.
- In its intervention, Telelatino expressed its pleasure that the service would not hold, obtain or exercise exclusive or preferential programming rights, given its interest in securing some of its programming for broadcast on Telelatino’s services.
Commission’s analysis and decision
- In the absence of opposing interventions, the Commission approves the application by Ethnic Channels Group Limited to add BeIN Español to the List of non-Canadian programming services authorized for distribution and amends the list accordingly. The revised list is available on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca by clicking on “TV & Radio” and selecting “Programming,” and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services - Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Improving the diversity of third-language television services - A revised approach to assessing requests to add non-Canadian third-language television services to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2004-96, 16 December 2004
- Date modified: