Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-360
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 24 May 2016
Ottawa, 7 September 2016
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Goose Bay and Nain, Newfoundland and Labrador
CFGB-FM Goose Bay – New transmitter in Nain
- The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CFGB-FM Goose Bay in order to operate a low-power FM rebroadcasting transmitter in Nain, to replace the existing AM transmitter CBNZ Nain. The Commission received interventions in support of this application.
- The new transmitter will operate at 95.1 MHz (channel 236LP) with an effective radiated power of 50 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height above average terrain of -23.3 metres).Footnote 1
- The CBC stated that the new transmitter will rebroadcast the Radio One programming from CFGB-FM, and will improve the quality of the Radio One signal in Nain.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, the Commission reminds the licensee that this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry (the Department) notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- Given that the technical parameters approved in this decision are for a low-power unprotected FM undertaking, the Commission also reminds the licensee that it will have to select another frequency if the Department so requires.
- The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 7 September 2018. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
- The Commission reminds the licensee that it must file an application to delete CFGB-FM’s current AM transmitter CBNZ once the implementation date for the new FM transmitter is known.
*This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Footnote 1
These technical parameters reflect those conditionally approved by the Department of Industry.
- Date modified: