Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2016-480
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 13 October 2016
Ottawa, 12 December 2016
Stephenville and Channel-Port aux Basques, Newfoundland and Labrador
CFSX Stephenville – New FM transmitter in Channel-Port aux Basques
- The Commission approves the application by Newcap Inc. (Newcap) to amend the broadcasting licence for the commercial radio programming undertaking CFSX Stephenville, Newfoundland and Labrador, in order to operate an FM rebroadcasting transmitter in Channel-Port aux Basques to replace the AM transmitter CFGN Channel-Port aux Basques. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- The new transmitter will operate at 96.7 MHz (channel 244A) with an effective radiated power of 1,240 watts (non-directional antenna with an effective height of antenna above average terrain of -3.2 metres).
- Newcap stated that the current AM rebroadcasting transmitter needs to be replaced as it is at the end of its useful life. The licensee added that conversion to the FM band would improve the quality and reliability of the signal in Channel-Port aux Basques.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 12 December 2018. To ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
- The Commission reminds the licensee that it must file an application to delete CFSX’s current AM transmitter CFGN once the implementation date for the new FM transmitter is known.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: