Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-175
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 2 March 2017
Ottawa, 31 May 2017
Canadian Broadcasting Corporation
Thunder Bay, Marathon and Terrace Bay, Ontario
CBQT-FM Thunder Bay – New transmitter in Marathon
- The Commission approves the application by the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) to amend the broadcasting licence for the English-language radio programming undertaking CBQT-FM Thunder Bay to operate an FM transmitter in Marathon to rebroadcast the programming of its national English-language network service Radio One. The new FM transmitter will replace the low-power AM transmitters CBLM Marathon and CBEH Terrace Bay. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- The new transmitter will operate at 107.5 MHz (channel 298B) with an average effective radiated power (ERP) of 2,187 watts (maximum ERP of 3,935 watts with an effective height of the antenna above average terrain of 279.9 metres).
- The CBC stated that the FM transmitter will improve the quality of the Radio One signal in Marathon and Terrace Bay, while combining the Radio One and ICI Radio-Canada Première services in a single antenna.
- Pursuant to section 22(1) of the Broadcasting Act, this authority will only be effective when the Department of Industry notifies the Commission that its technical requirements have been met and that a broadcasting certificate will be issued.
- The transmitter must be operational at the earliest possible date and in any event no later than 24 months from the date of this decision, unless a request for an extension of time is approved by the Commission before 31 May 2019. In order to ensure that such a request is processed in a timely manner, it should be submitted in writing at least 60 days before that date.
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
- Date modified: