Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-236
Reference: Part 1 application posted on 1 May 2017
Ottawa, 6 July 2017
Ethnic Channels Group Limited
Addition of Kino Polska Muzyka to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution
- The Commission approves an application from Ethnic Channels Group Limited (ECGL), acting as the Canadian sponsor, to add Kino Polska Muzyka, a non-Canadian third-language service, to the List of non-Canadian programming services and stations authorized for distribution (the list). The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application. The revised list can be found on the Commission’s website at www.crtc.gc.ca and may be obtained in hard copy on request.
- ECGL described Kino Polska Muzyka as a 24-hour niche service (95% Polish-language, 5% English-language) that showcases music video clips of the best Polish-language popular music from the 1960s to today, and also broadcasts profiles of Polish-language musical artists and concerts from time to time. Its target audience is Polish-speaking individuals and audiences interested in Polish-language music. Its service originates from Poland.
- As set out in Broadcasting Public Notices 2004-96 and 2008-100, requests to add non-Canadian general interest third-language services to the list are generally approved, subject to any requirements the Commission deems appropriate. Non-Canadian third-language services that provide narrowly targeted or “niche” programming are subject to the same approach as non-Canadian general interest third-language services.
- Regulatory frameworks for broadcasting distribution undertakings and discretionary programming services – Regulatory policy, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2008-100, 30 October 2008
- Improving the diversity of third-language television services – A revised approach to assessing requests to add non-Canadian third-language television services to the lists of eligible satellite services for distribution on a digital basis,Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2004-96, 16 December 2004
- Date modified: