Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-244
Reference: Part 1 licence renewal application posted on 1 March 2017
Ottawa, 10 July 2017
9427899 Canada Inc.
CKIN-FM Montréal – Licence renewal
- The Commission renews the broadcasting licence for the ethnic radio programming undertaking CKIN-FM Montréal, Quebec from 1 September 2017 to 31 August 2024. The conditions of licence are set out in the appendix to this decision. The Commission did not receive any interventions regarding this application.
- In Broadcasting Decision 2017-189, the Commission approved an application by 9427899 Canada Inc. to reallocate the tangible benefits stemming from the change in effective control of CKIN-FM, as set out in Broadcasting Decision 2015-397. The licensee is responsible for ensuring that the tangible benefits contributions are allocated to parties and initiatives fulfilling the definition of eligible initiatives set out in paragraph 108 of Broadcasting Public Notice 2006-158.
- Pursuant to section 22 of the Broadcasting Act, the broadcasting licence renewed in this decision will cease to have any force or effect if the broadcasting certificate issued by the Department of Industry lapses.
- CKIN-FM Montréal – Reallocation of tangible benefits, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-189, 8 June 2017
- CKIN-FM Montréal – Acquisition of assets, Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2015-397, 25 August 2015
- Commercial radio policy, 2006, Broadcasting Public Notice CRTC 2006-158, 15 December 2006
This decision is to be appended to the licence.
Appendix to Broadcasting Decision CRTC 2017-244
Terms, conditions of licence, expectation and encouragement for the ethnic radio programming undertaking CKIN-FM Montréal
The licence will expire 31 August 2024.
Conditions of licence
- The licence shall adhere to the conditions set out in Conditions of licence for AM and FM radio stations, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2009-62, 11 February 2009, with the exception of conditions of licence 7 and 9, as well as to the conditions set out in the broadcasting licence for the undertaking.
- The station shall be operated within the specialty format as defined in A review of certain matters concerning radio, Public Notice CRTC 1995-60, 21 April 1995, and Revised content categories and subcategories for radio, Broadcasting Regulatory Policy CRTC 2010-819, 5 November 2010.
- The licensee shall devote at least 70% of the programming broadcast during each broadcast week to ethnic programs, as defined in the Radio Regulations, 1986, as amended from time to time.
- The licensee shall devote at least 60% of the programming broadcast during each broadcast week to third language programs, as defined in the Radio Regulations, 1986, as amended from time to time.
- The licensee shall broadcast programming directed to at least six distinct cultural groups in at least eight languages in each broadcast week.
- The licensee shall ensure that at least 10% of the music selections broadcast during ethnic programming periods in each broadcast week are Canadian selections.
The Commission expects the licensee to reflect the cultural diversity of Canada in its programming and employment practices.
In accordance with Implementation of an employment equity policy, Public Notice CRTC 1992-59, 1 September 1992, the Commission encourages the licensee to consider employment equity issues in its hiring practices and in all other aspects of its management of human resources.
- Date modified: