Affordable basic TV package, small TV packages and pick and pay TV channels
As of March 1, 2016, you can subscribe to an affordable basic TV package that costs no more than $25 per month (not including equipment). You also have more options to add to that service as TV service providers must offer channels either individually or in packages of up to 10 channels.
View the PDF version of this information.
Have your say!
We are holding a public hearing to discuss how the new basic television package, and pick and pay/small packages are being implemented across Canada. We want to make sure that these packages are offered by TV service providers in the spirit in which it was intended.
We want to hear from you on this issue! You have until June 23rd to send us your comments.
Pick and pay and small packages
As of March 1, 2016, cable and satellite companies must offer channels EITHER individually OR in packages of up to 10 channels.
As of December 1, 2016, channels will be offered BOTH individually AND in packages of up to 10 channels.
Affordable basic package
Priced at no more than $25/month (excluding equipment)
- Local and regional TV stations
- Channels with mandatory distribution
- Community and provincial legislature channels (where available)
- Provincial/territorial educational channels
May also include:
- Other Canadian over-the-air stations
- Local AM and FM radio stations
- Stations affiliated with American networks (ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC) and PBS
- Educational channels of another province or territory in each official language (if no educational channel is offered)
TV Service Providers Near You
Find TV service providers in your area. See what they have to offer. Choose the one that works best for you.
What we are doing
Policies, Decisions and Orders
- Date modified: